The Palo Alto Children's Theatre seeks an Education and Outreach Artist to support the technical needs of two program areas 1) Outreach Initiatives, serving Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) elementary with on-site theatrical productions for grades 3 - 5; and 2) Summer Camp productions, for youth age 8 and up. In addition to onsite shop support, the technician will provide on-site technical support for the PAUSD Outreach Productions.Work hours and schedule:
This is an SEIU benefited position, authorized to work an average of 20 hours per week. Must have some flexible evening and weekend availability.About the Palo Alto Children's Theatre:
Palo Alto Children's Theatre exists to nurture the intellectual, artistic, and personal development of youth through multi-arts education, performing opportunities, and extraordinary theatre experiences. At the Children's Theatre, the process and product are of equal importance in creating excellent theatre for young audiences. Through multi-arts education, the Children's Theatre develops lifelong skills such as critical and creative thinking, cooperation, and aesthetic sensitivity. A theatre and an educational institution, the Children's Theatre provides classes and programming designed to provide hands-on learning experiences for youth age 3 through high school. This invaluable teaching tool develops skills and provides an excellent opportunity to develop participants' theatrical knowledge. Performing arts education opportunities include onsite classes, camps and production experiences, as well as theatrical Outreach Productions (grades 3-5) and Dance In Schools classes (grades K-2) in all twelve PAUSD Elementary Schools.ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- General scene shop support.
- Building scenic elements for live theatrical productions, to the specifications documented in blueprints, in the time allotted.
- Some scenic and property design required.
- Responsible for the proper maintenance of shop equipment and tools.
- Oversight of load-in and load-out for Summer Camp and PAUSD Outreach Productions with other staff, as well as parent volunteers.
- Instruction and oversight of Summer Camp and PAUSD Outreach Production youth crew members.
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities, which would typically be acquired through:
- Stage carpentry experience required (Bachelor's Degree or minimum 2 years working experience), including ability to read technical drawings.
- Experience as a teaching artist or other experience working with youth and/or volunteers required.
- Theatrical rigging, lighting and sound knowledge preferred.
- Scenic design and painting experience strongly preferred.
- Must have CA driver's license.
- Must be comfortable working on ladders/heights, and able to lift 50 pounds.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous