Johnson County Wastewater is looking for qualified candidates to fill the position of HVAC Technician (Maintenance Specialist I) at their NelsonWastewater Complex. This position is part of a team that ensures effective wastewater plant operations,primarily through HVAC and other related maintenance support for the location. They will be responsible for emergency maintenance and repair as well as preventative tasks to support safe and effective equipment operations. Johnson County offers excellent benefits, including health insurance, vacation leave, retirement benefits, and wellness incentives and discounts. Position will remain open until filled.
Job duties may include the following:
- Uses specialized skills to perform technical work in one or more skilled trades (HVAC, Building Automation, Electrical, Plumbing) on a variety of maintenance or project related tasks; diagnosis and troubleshoots, designs, and proposes corrective measures to complex systems; tests, calibrates, repairs, replaces and constructs various commercial building systems to include HVAC systems and components, building automation systems, make-up air units, air handling equipment, air conditioning/cooling/heating equipment, electrical service and distribution systems (high and low voltage) and terminal devices, or plumbing distribution and terminal devices; serves as subject matter expert in particular skilled trade.
- Provides subject matter expertise on routine, technical trades work; works with department staff in the design/modification of new and existing systems; repairs and ensures test/telemetry equipment is reliability; sets up, completes simple programming and repairs PLCs and single loop controllers.
- Oversees repairs to equipment such as exhaust hoods, ovens, dishwashers, disposals steamers; pumps, motors, and similar equipment; escorts vendors performing contracted services within secure areas; uses specialized skill set to inspect and assess the quality of work performed and provides feedback and guidance regarding quality expectations and deficiencies to ensure contractors accomplish defined bid specifications.
- Performs various tasks requiring equipment, vehicle, and tool operation; uses a variety of small and large tools and operates a variety of light and medium duty equipment and attachments including: tractors, trucks, scissor lifts, boom truck, and snow removal equipment.
- Coordinates training and safety requirements for their specialized skill set; ensures safety standards are met; shares knowledge, explains duties, and helps others acquire higher skill level; Completes paperwork, work orders, timesheets, and equipment logs using computerized system; follows purchasing card guidelines.
A high school diploma or equivalent and three (3) years experience in a specialized trade (HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, or Building Automation) performing at the journey/equivalent level or above are required. One (1) additional year of related experience may substitute for education. Universal Refrigerant Transition and Recovery Certification or equivalent is also required. Must pass a criminal history screening and have a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record. This job also requires lifting of 50 pounds, exposure to extreme temperatures, fumes and chemicals, heights, and loud noises. Excessive standing and walking is also required.
Vo-Tech or Associate's degree in HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, or Building Automation and Universal Refrigerant Transition and Recovery Certification or equivalent are preferred.
Experience may be substituted for education.
Intermediate (5% to 25%)
Facilities, Trade, and Custodial