The Senior Director of Development for the College of Engineering reports to the Executive Director of Development and serves as a liaison between the College of Engineering and Development for University Advancement. The incumbent works closely with the Associate Vice President of Development providing strategic direction and vision for key fundraising priorities related to San José State University's next comprehensive campaign; works closely with the Vice President for University Advancement on strategies for and contact with high-level donor prospects in the President's and Vice President's respective portfolios. The Senior Director of Development is expected to actively manage a prospect/donor portfolio with annual goals for personal visits and fundraising outcomes based on established metrics; develop and execute sound strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift prospects/donors - initiate contact, develop appropriate timely fashion toward solicitation and closure; work collaboratively with the leadership of colleges, key university donor-centric cultivation and solicitation strategy; work collaboratively with peers in Major Gifts as well as colleagues in Annual Giving, Planned Giving, Alumni Association and Corporate and Foundation Relations. This position works with volunteer leadership providing them direction and support in maximizing the college's major gift fundraising potential; focus on securing funding for the designated priorities including academic programs, scholarships, unrestricted support, facility renovations, new facilities and other specified priorities; collaborate with stewardship colleagues with donor stewardship efforts to help promote a culture of gratitude among internal and external constituents.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Actively manage and prospect/donor portfolio with annual goals for personal visits and fundraising outcomes based on established metrics.
- Develop and execute sound strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift prospects/donors-initiate contact, develop appropriate cultivation plans, and move individuals in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure.
- Present and regularly review top prospect strategies with immediate supervisor and other key team members as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with the leadership of Colleges, the dean and other college leadership, key university administrators and other stakeholders, offering them counsel on donor-centric cultivation and solicitation strategy, as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with peers in Major Gifts as well as colleagues in Annual Giving, Planned Giving and Corporate and Foundation Relations.
- Work with volunteer leadership providing direction and support in maximizing the Colleges major gift fundraising potential.
- Focus on securing funding for designated priorities including academic programs, endowed chairs and professorships, scholarships, unrestricted support, facility renovations, new facilities and other specified priorities.
- Collaborate with stewardship colleagues with donor stewardship efforts particularly pertaining to assigned college/unit/project and help promote a culture of gratitude among internal and external constituents.
- Prepare written donor cultivation and solicitation plans and proposals
- Ability to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects/donors and effectively move them through the development cycle leading to closing six and seven-figure gifts
- Skillful in making cold calls (opening doors) as well as developing donor-centric cultivation and solicitation strategies
- Ability to navigate the institution/assigned unit and make the appropriate match for donor's interests
- Thorough knowledge of fundraising in a capital or comprehensive campaign setting
- Ability to engage and support volunteer leadership with their efforts in fundraising, consultation, and advocacy
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong initiative and self-motivation and ability to work as a part of a collaborative team
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills
- Skillful in successfully managing multiple projects on tight deadlines and under pressure in a dynamic and open environment
- Ability to define problems, gather data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google, and utilizing fundraising database software
- Bachelor's Degree
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in development/fundraising
- Master's Degree
- Experience developing donor (or client)-centric solicitation strategies leading to closing major gifts (or accounts)
- Fundraising experience in capital or comprehensive campaign setting, preferably at an institution of higher education
- Experience engaging and supporting volunteer leadership in their fundraising efforts
- Excellent written communication skills
Classification: Administrator II
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
For full consideration, applicant materials should be received by November 1, 2021
and submitted directly through the search firm by visiting: https://careers-anothersource. icims.com/jobs/3295/senior- director-of-development-for- engineering/job?mode=job&iis= SOURCE&iisn=EmployerWebsite
. Contact Information
Web: www.anothersource.comCSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled