Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process, and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See resume" in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process. About The Position
The Water Services Worker II performs skilled work in the installation, maintenance, and repair of the water lines in the distribution system, and occasionally sewer lines in the wastewater collection system. Please Note: There are multiple positions available. Based on the needs of the City, this posting has been reposted Open Continuous. The City will remove this posting when the positions have been filled.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of this position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview. Final selection is contingent upon a background check which includes:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Drug Testing
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
to view the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time. Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience:
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements:
- A High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- One year experience in the construction or active maintenance of water distribution system(s) or large irrigation system(s), including pipe repair and replacement, and valve maintenance; OR two years of experience in plumbing construction and repair or the construction of other underground utilities, including gas, cable or electrical repair.
- Six months' experience as a Water Meter Technician will meet the experience requirements for the Water Services Worker II.
The Scottsdale Water Resources Division offers an Operator Certification Incentive Program
for those employees who obtain certifications above what is required of their positions. The department recognizes the intrinsic value of operator certifications and the added value to the city of having a workforce that possess them.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted Arizona driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date.
- Must possess or obtain within one year of hire or promotion Grade 1 operator certification from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality within the discipline of Water Distribution.
- Must possess or obtain within six months of promotion or hire and maintain a valid Class "A" Commercial Driver License (CDL) with the tanker endorsement.
- Must maintain a valid CDL with appropriate endorsements and will be subject to unannounced alcohol and drug testing as required by law.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment. Essential Functions
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Maintains, repairs, replaces and adds to the water distribution and transmission system pipes, valves, hydrants, laterals and various other appurtenances.
- Changes out meters and performs routine valve and hydrant maintenance.
- May operate a backhoe or other equipment to excavate damaged water and sewer lines.
- Performs water main shutdowns and notifies affected customers when water outages are necessary to perform system work.
- Performs water line repair tapping and valve installation; tests water lines and refills trenches; repairs streets and sidewalks damaged during excavation.
- Operates a high velocity sewer cleaning truck for excavation or line clearing.
- Adjusts manhole cover heights and performs sewer line and lateral repairs.
- Restores excavated landscaped areas to prior existing conditions.
- Observes and monitors data to determine compliance with prescribed operating and safety standards.
- Complies with all OSHA safety standards including Confined Space Entry, Trenching and Shoring, and Traffic Barricade set up.
- Communicates with citizens, contractors, and staff members in a professional and cordial manner.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
- Work in trenches, manholes, and other confined and cramped spaces that may be muddy or in standing water.
- Lift and carry or drag heavy objects (up to 50 pounds) both short and long distances.
- Work in adverse conditions including extreme heat and cold, wind, rain, and loud noise.
- Exposure to dust, dirt, pollen, and traffic hazards.
- Drive a City vehicle or equipment maintaining constant vigilance to the road and surrounding area.
- 10-hour days for 4 days/week are normal.
- Work rotating weekend shifts, holidays, and a call-out schedule.
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous