Under general supervision, performs various public works maintenance and repair activities of the City’s infrastructure; provides work direction to other maintenance staff. This designation is distinguished from the Senior Crew Leader designation by lead work responsibilities over a small group of maintenance staff.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:Knowledge:
- Provides work direction to other maintenance staff; assigns and reviews work; trains workers; provides supplies and materials for work projects.
- Distributes materials to work crews; performs inventory of supplies, parts and materials; orders and receives various items from vendors.
- Receives and responds to citizen complaints.
- Performs setup for traffic control operations.
- Installs and maintains traffic and street signs.
- Performs traffic signal, street light and weather sensing equipment maintenance.
- Operates motorized equipment to apply paint markings on pavement for traffic control.
- Assists in performing inspections of pavement markings and traffic sign installations.
- Performs various concrete repair projects, including sidewalks, streets and inlets; installs culverts.
- Repairs street cave-ins and bridge blocks.
- Replaces and installs water hydrants and valves; repairs and builds old hydrants; conducts flow tests.
- Installs and/or upgrades new water and sewer taps; installs clean outs; installs water meters and meter boxes.
- Repairs water main breaks and service lines; locates water valves and water mains.
- Installs man holes.
- Performs water turn on/turn off water service.
- Jets and vacuums sewer lines; vacuums and cleans overflows.
- Locates and marks utilities.
- Repairs tools, small engines and various construction equipment; performs light maintenance on large equipment.
- Operates light and heavy motorized vehicles and equipment.
- Performs general clean-up of various areas within the City.
- Performs various recycling operations.
- Participates in special event preparations.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Galveston and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Employees may at any time be required to work in order to provide for the safety and well-being of the general public, including the delivery and restoration of vital services, in the event of an emergency.
- City organization, operations, policies, and procedures.
- Water and sewer system operations.
- Concrete installation, maintenance and repair operations.
- Building maintenance and repair operations.
- Building construction methods and practices.
- Traffic control operations.
- May require knowledge of recycling operations.
- Principles and practices of project management.
- Principles and practices of effective employee supervision.
- Business and personal computers, and spreadsheet software applications.
- Handling situations requiring diplomacy, fairness, firmness and sound judgment.
- Providing efficient customer service.
- Understanding and applying City policies and procedures.
- Reading and understanding blueprints and construction documents.
- Operating various light and heavy motorized equipment and vehicles.
- Using various hand and power tools.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with all levels within the City.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
High School diploma or equivalent; AND three years’ experience in public works maintenance and repair operations, including two years of supervisory or lead work experience; OR
an equivalent combination of education and experience.LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
- May require possession of a valid Texas Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License.
- May require possession of a TEEX Collection 1 license.
Work is performed both in an indoor and outdoor work environment. May be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme weather conditions, potential physical harm and hazardous chemicals. May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 100 pounds. May be required to climb ladders. May be required to work in confined spaces.
Closing Date/Time: February 6, 2022 at 11:59 PM CST