Salary: up to $22.53/hour DOQ USD
Come join our team! The City of Sedona is seeking applicants for the position of City Maintenance Worker I .
As evidenced by our latest Employee Satisfaction Survey, the City is a great place to work!
Employees have good working relationships with coworkers - 93% agree
Employees feel the City is a good place to work - 91% agree
Employees feel their work is meaningful and understand how their job supports the city’s mission - 93% agree
This position performs a variety of duties including maintenance of City facilities, streets, pathways, sidewalks, landscaping, irrigation, parks play areas, swimming pools, turf areas, restrooms, playground equipment, parking lots, storm drainage, and buildings. The City Maintenance Worker I also operates and maintains a variety of maintenance equipment. This position may entail weekend or evening work.
1. Perform various maintenance tasks related to City facilities or facilities for which the City has maintenance responsibilities.
2. Perform or assist in the repair of City facilities or other related facilities.
3. Perform general maintenance work including irrigation, sign installation and repair, swimming pool maintenance, restroom maintenance, pathway, play equipment repair, minor building repair and grounds maintenance, control of planting, fertilizing, mowing, sweeping, drainage work, debris clean-up and removal.
4. Conduct inspection of City-responsibility facilities for damage, vandalism, broken equipment, hazardous conditions, condition of plants and turf, need for maintenance, and makes reports of findings.
5. Perform work such as flagging, installation of signs and safety devices, drainage maintenance, digging holes, pavement repair, assembling equipment, area clean-up, lifting equipment, filling and lifting sand bags, carrying equipment and debris, area maintenance at City facilities, installation of light bulbs and air filters, concrete/stucco repair, graffiti removal, painting, loading, and unloading vehicles.
6. Operate maintenance equipment such as trucks, tractors, blowers, mowers, paint sprayers, trailers, weed eaters, hand tools, and power tools.
7. Participate in response to emergencies, including repair to streets, parks, and building damage that may result from wind, rain, snow, accidents, sewer overflows, or vandalism.
8. Execute small capital projects such as sidewalk installation, irrigation installation, development of landscaped areas, and assembly of signs, painting buildings, installation of playground and picnic area equipment.
Knowledge of: • Tools commonly used in assembling signs, playground equipment, basic building maintenance.
• Federal, state, and local laws relating to the proper and safe conduct of work assignments.
• Street, turf, and basic building maintenance and safe work practices.
• Work both in teams or alone depending upon the assigned work task
• Wear and use personal protective equipment appropriate to work tasks
• Drive trucks, cars, light and heavy vehicles
• Perform heavy manual labor
• Read, write, and speak English clearly
• Communicate in a respectful, tactful manner with the public and City staff
• Explain City policies and procedures
• Read and follow directions for use of equipment, chemicals, or assembly of various items
• Encourage and facilitate an environment of teambuilding and problem solving of work-related issues with fellow employees
• Work in a wide range of weather conditions including daylight, nighttime, cold, or hot temperatures
• Analyze work settings in order to work safely and properly, and anticipate or solve problems
• Participate in record keeping related to assigned work tasks and inspections
• Use modern office equipment including computer and cell phone to access work-related information, write and read email, and use word processing functions
• Lift 60 lbs.
• Maintain mental capacity which allows for effective interaction and communication with others
• Maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties
• Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities
• Learn new tasks and information
License or Certificate: Possession of, or the ability to obtain a State of Arizona drivers license, within one month of hire.
Satisfactory driving record.
Possession of, or the ability to obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL) within one year of hire.
WORKING CONDITIONS Environmental Conditions:
Work is mainly outdoors in all types of weather and at various times of day. Work area may be dusty, muddy, have fumes from roadway traffic, sewers, chemicals, hazardous and non-hazardous, planted and brushy areas, flat to steep areas involving climbing, may involve climbing ladders, working with or near electrical devices, or riding in a hoist.
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, walking for prolonged periods of time and working closely with others; general manual dexterity; operate motorized equipment and vehicles. Significant lifting may be expected. Good vision including peripheral vision. Good auditory ability necessary.
The City of Sedona offers a competitive benefit package that includes:
• Arizona State Retirement System
• 100% City-paid health, dental and vision coverage for employee
• Substantial contributions to health, dental and vision coverage for dependents
• City provided $50,000 group term life insurance
• Short-term disability
• Ninety-six hours of PTO time
• Generous vacation accrual rates
• Eleven paid holidays
• Deferred compensation - Optional IRS 457 plans
• Wellness programs
HOW TO APPLY To apply for this job opportunity, please click here .
City of Sedona
102 Roadrunner Drive
Sedona, AZ 86336
928-203-5038 or 203-5189
The City of Sedona is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at the City are based on business needs; job requirements; individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status; past or present military service; or any other status protected by law or regulation.