Description: Job Summary
The School of Education in the College of Science and Mathematics at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, is seeking an outstanding candidate for a full-time, academic year, tenure track position in Education with a focus on critical pedagogies in secondary education beginning September 12, 2022. Appointment at the Assistant Professor rank is anticipated; higher ranks will be considered. Rank and salary are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The successful candidate will be a highly motivated, student-focused, and equity-oriented individual who is committed to teacher preparation and scholarship and collaborating with faculty and K-12 district partners. The successful candidate will:
- Primarily teach secondary education program courses (see http://soe.calpoly.edu/content/program for a list of courses) and teach courses and advise student projects within the curriculum & instruction master's degree program (see https://soe.calpoly.edu/ciprogram). Students in the secondary education program may also earn a bilingual authorization (see https://soe.calpoly.edu/content/biauthprogram for a list of courses).
- Supervise credential candidates in their yearlong clinical experience
- Maintain an active research agenda in their area of expertise
- Collaborate with secondary education faculty on program reform and annual program events
- Establish and maintain partnerships with local K-12 school districts, including providing professional development for in-service teachers
- Serve on school, college, and university committees
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Required Qualifications
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Education or a related field (if ABD, doctorate must be completed by start date)
- One year of full-time teaching experience at the middle or high school level or school of equivalent status
- Demonstrated excellence or potential for excellence in teaching within a secondary education program at the university level
- Evidence of or potential for an active research agenda
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching multi-ethnic, multilingual, and/or multicultural students in middle and/or high school
- Demonstrated scholarly expertise or effectiveness teaching social justice and/or culturally responsive and sustaining pedagogy at the middle and/or high school or within a secondary education program at the university level
- Demonstrated excellence as a secondary teacher with three or more years of experience
- Experience supervising credential candidates in a field experience during a secondary education program
- Experience developing and/or implementing professional development for in-service teachers
- Bilingual proficiency in English and Spanish
- Hold a teaching credential or equivalent
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Note: Cal Poly cannot deny an applicant a position solely or in part due to a criminal conviction history until it has performed an individualized assessment and linked the relevant conviction history with specific job duties in the position being sought.
Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
For health and well-being, Cal Poly is a smoke & tobacco-free campus. The university is committed to promoting a healthy environment for all members of our community.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at CSU Vaccination Policy
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. About the Department
Cal Poly is a comprehensive polytechnic university combining technical and professional curricula with the arts and humanities. Having built a solid reputation with its "learn by doing" approach, it has been named by U.S. News & World Report as the top public, undergraduate/master's-level university in the West for 29 consecutive years. The School of Education is located in the College of Science and Mathematics and offers the multiple subject (elementary) credential; single subject (secondary) credentials in agriculture, biological science, chemistry, English, mathematics, modern languages, social sciences, and physics; bilingual authorization; master's degree and credential programs in educational leadership & administration and special education; and a master's degree programs in higher education counseling/student affairs and curriculum & instruction.
The single subject education program is a university-wide collaboration that serves secondary subject credential candidates. Secondary credential candidates complete a yearlong coteaching clinical experience following the school district's calendar (August - June) while supervised by secondary faculty. Cal Poly recognizes the value of providing students preparing to be educators with expertise in working with emergent bilinguals and students with diverse learning needs. More information may be viewed at http://soe.calpoly.edu
. About the University
Founded in 1901, Cal Poly is one of only five comprehensive polytechnic universities in the nation, with approximately 22,000 undergraduates, 120 postbaccalaureate, and 900 graduate students. U.S. News and World Report has ranked Cal Poly #1 among public master's universities in the western United States for 28 consecutive years. A primarily undergraduate university, Cal Poly offers academically focused students 66 baccalaureate degrees and 27 master's degrees. Operating on the quarter calendar system, Cal Poly takes pride in its "Learn-by-Doing" approach to teaching and learning, which has characterized Cal Poly since its founding. One of the 23 campuses of the California State University system, Cal Poly has a statewide mandate as a polytechnic university. Cal Poly is one of the largest land-holding universities in the nation and uses all of its land holdings in active support of its educational programs. Cal Poly is located in historic San Luis Obispo, a city of 47,000, 12 miles from the Pacific Ocean and midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles on California's scenic Central Coast. With excellent public education resources, recreational facilities and an expanding dedication to the arts, the area is known for its scenic landscapes and extraordinarily temperate climate. How to Apply
Interested candidates must attach (1) a cover letter addressing interests and qualifications for the position, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) teaching philosophy statement, (4) research statement, (5) diversity statement, (6) unofficial transcript(s) as one document, and (7) an example of scholarly writing. These documents are not accepted in hard copy format. When completing the online faculty application, please be prepared to provide three professional references with names and email addresses. Official transcripts are required prior to appointment.
Review of applications will begin December 10, 2021. Complete applications received after that date may be considered. For questions, please contact Dr. Megan Guise at email@example.com.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled