Under general supervision of the Director of Public Works, assists in the management, planning, organization, and direction of work in the Department of Public Works. Work requires exercise of considerable professional judgment and initiative within the framework of established regulations, policies, and the Department Strategic Plan. In the absence of the Director of Public Works, this position may assume the duties of the department director when assigned.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions, but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:Knowledge:
- Assist in the direction of operations, employees, programs, projects, and activities of the Public Works & Municipal Utility Department Assist and make recommendations for the preparation and implementation of the department’s budget, capital improvement plan, and appropriate master plans consistent with standard operating procedures and department priorities.
- Research and prepare detailed management reports and conduct departmental analyses for various purposes including intradepartmental, interdepartmental, City Council, outside regulatory agencies, contractors, consultants, vendors, and the general public.
- Suggest, analyze, and design departmental record keeping procedures to efficiently manage department records and utilize computer information systems to maintain and effectively utilize department databases.
- Analyze and assist in designing departmental work processes, operations, and construction project approaches to continuously address effective and efficient service delivery.
- Develop, recommend, revise, and enforce organizational and departmental standard operating procedures including City policies and safety rules and regulations.
- Participate and make recommendations in personnel matters including, but not limited to, interviewing and selecting employees, appraising productivity and efficiency of employees, reviewing performance evaluations completed by division managers of their subordinates, offering advice and assistance when necessary, and handling employee complaints.
- Assist with the establishment of departmental priorities and the assignment of work to the appropriate Team Leaders.
- Keep abreast of problems, circumstances, activities or events which may/will affect the department and keep the Director apprised of concerns.
- Assist with the effective coordination with the Finance Department to maintain a competitive purchasing process.
- Provide ongoing administration and oversight of various City contracts and agreements for which the Public Works Department is responsible.
- Review and respond to questions, comments, complaints and requests for service lodged by the general public and recommend, establish, and implement revisions to departmental rules, regulations, policies, and procedures when deemed appropriate.
- Assist in the determination of resources to be devoted to various needs on a short-term and long-term basis.
- Advise subordinates and supervisors on non-routine matters requiring special knowledge and/or expertise.
- Assist with the development, implementation, administration and enforcement of departmental emergency operations, policies, and procedures.
- Assist the Team Leaders in administration of a comprehensive program of required and discretionary safety and skills enhancement and professional development training and other related activities.
- Reviews and monitors water and wastewater infra-structure operations within the City.
- Reviews construction plans; oversees project management activities.
- Oversees efforts to reduce inflow and infiltration into the City’s sanitary sewer system.
- Ensures compliance with TCEQ requirements.
- Oversees water conservation planning.
- Prepare and assist in making presentations before the City Council, Council Committees and other events on matters pertaining to the Department when assigned.
- Assist the Director and other Staff in the evaluation of programs and projects for grant applications.
- City organization, operations, policies, and procedures.
- Principles and practices of public works administration.
- Principles and practices of engineering design.
- Principles and practices of engineering storm water, drainage and recycling operations.
- Principles and practices of administrative management.
- Principles and practices of effective employee supervision.
- Principles and practices of project management.
- Principles and practices of strategic planning.
- Water and wastewater compliance requirements.
- Applicable state and federal rules and regulations.
- TCEQ requirements.
- Prior knowledge of appropriate manuals and guidelines pertaining to the Public Works Department.
- Ability to perform in a dynamic environment requiring prompt decision making and comprehensive management of operations.
- Be able to contribute to a positive group environment by: participating in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and city-wide goals; assisting other co-workers on special projects as required; and providing leadership to others through example and by sharing knowledge and skills.
- Ability to conduct themselves in a professional and ethical manner.
- Possession of effective leadership skills to efficiently organize, direct, and coordinate the activities, personnel, and equipment of a multi-functional Public Works department, including strong project management skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and complete in a timely manner.
- Ability to effectively communicate with elected and appointed officials, employees, agencies, other governmental entities, and the public.
- Possession of effective negotiations skills in public speaking and conflict resolution.
- Ability to promote and support the department’s visions and objectives while promoting leadership throughout the Public Works Department.
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Engineering, Business or closely related field; AND a minimum work experience of five (5) years in municipal government performing similar work; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION:
Possession of a valid Class C Texas driver’s license.PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed both in an indoor and outdoor work environment. May have exposure to dangerous machinery, extreme weather conditions and potential physical harm. May be required to lift and carry items weighing up to 80 pounds.
Closing Date/Time: January 31, 2022 at 11:59 PM CST