Description: Working Title
Laborer SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing email@example.com.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. Department
Facilities Services - Laborer Housing Appointment Type
Probationary Time Base
Full-Time (1.0) Positions Available
1 Position Available Work Schedule
Eligible for shift pay Anticipated Hiring Range
$2,912.00 per month - $3,109.00 per month ($34,944.00 - $37,308.00 Annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience. Position Summary
Under the direct supervision of the Associate Director of Housekeeping, it is the primary responsibility of the Laborer to move heavy objects, assist the grounds and maintenance in unskilled tasks and clean assigned areas of the properties managed by Facilities Services. Position Information
Performs tasks of the unit
The list below identifies typical unit tasks:
- Grounds cleaning and hardscape maintenance on Grounds and parking Structures and roads.
- Performs general cleaning of all campus outdoor areas, clearing drains, sweeping, picking up bulky debris and vegetation, washing trash cans, outdoor ash trays, removing graffiti, tape, stains, posters, etc.
- Operates power blowers, carpet shampoo machines, power washers, tilters, compactors, extractors and fans
- Uses other tools and equipment as necessary to insure cleanliness of outdoor campus areas
- Moving appliances, furniture, equipment and arranging furniture to match floorplans/layouts
- Cleans catch basins and drains on the grounds
- Constructs and maintains trash enclosures and other fences, maintains signs, posts signage as needed etc.
- May assist Grounds landscape staff in grounds work and tree care operations
- Assists in the moving of furniture and equipment and other requested items for the University events.
- Clean and extract floods and overflows
Waste management activities as follows:
- Picks up and exchanges garbage containers, tow bins, and tilt bins from assigned areas on campus manually or using the appropriate vehicles- forklifts, trucks, carts, trailers, etc.
- Collects, transports, and sorts various recycling materials
- Sweep, sanitize, and clean near trash/recycling receptacles, within carports, trash rooms, and other areas as assigned
- Cleans, disinfects, and maintains all material handling containers, trash equipment, and adjacent areas
- Inspect forklifts, pull bins, tractor, and trash compactor daily before operation, performs minor maintenance on wheels, casters, tow links, etc., and reports equipment and work areas
- Records activities such as transport pickup schedules, collection quantities, corrective work needed on vehicles or equipment, reports observed repair/maintenance items to Facilities Service Desk, read and understand floor plans for Event set ups, and fills out work orders and timesheets.
Other duties as assigned. At All Times
Minimum Qualifications Abilities:
- Demonstrate behaviors that are in line with the User Friendly Principles (P530C) and Principles of Conduct for a Multi-Cultural University (P30D)
- Demonstrate safe work practices for oneself, others and the office environment.
Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position; follow verbal and written instructions to ensure safety; perform regular strenuous manual labor; and safely move heavy items in excess of 50 pounds. License:
Some positions may require possession of a valid California driver's license. Preferred Qualifications
- Knowledge of the common terminology, methods, practice, tools, chemicals and procedures related to labor activities. Knowledge of safety and sanitation measures appropriate for laborer work
- Must be able to perform proficiently a variety of laborer tasks; operate all applicable tools and equipment including motor vehicles, tractor, forklift, street sweeper, power washer, extractor, fans, shampoo machine, leaf blower, and manual and power tool; follow standard oral and written instructions and procedures; perceive locations on maps, understand floorplans for furniture layout, read and write at a level appropriate to the position to receive training and work instructions such as safety warnings, dispatch instructions to remote locations, list of task, and conditional instructions; knowledge of safety and the ergonomics of physical labor and sanitation measures; demonstrate the ability to learn and use care with laborer supplies and equipment; observe and follow safe working practices; and demonstrate the ability to learn additional laborer functions as job assignments change with circumstances
- Knowledge of safety, the ergonomics of physical labor and sanitation measures. Ability to read and write English, as needed for receiving training and work instructions- such as safety warnings, dispatch instructions to remote locations, lists of tasks and conditional instructions.
- Experience working in public higher education, possession of valid forklift operator certification, possession of Defensive Driver certification
Core Competencies - embody the following competencies:
- Bias toward collaboration and teamwork.
- Effective communication skills.
- Customer/Client Focus with an emphasis in problem solving and resolution.
- Personal effectiveness and credibility as demonstrated by interpersonal and professional confidence.
- Diversity and inclusion.
Possess a Valid unrestricted California Driver's License; comply with the Defensive Driver's Training program requirements if a vehicle is used on official business. Environmental/Physical/Special
Able to safely move heavy items in excess of 50 pounds is required. Incumbent is required to wear uniform and carry/respond to a department provided during the work schedule. May be required to work on weekends and/or holidays. Work schedule may change depending on the needs of the organization. Incumbent must have sufficient decorum and comportment to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to life, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight. Pre-Employment Requirements
This position requires the successful completion of a background check. Eligibility to Work
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire. Benefits
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employee. Employment Requirement
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
. CSUEU Position (For CSUEU Positions Only)
Eligible and qualified on-campus applicants, currently in bargaining units 2, 5, 7, and 9 are given hiring preference. Additional Information SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Please note that this position, position requirements, application deadline and/or any other component of this position is subject to change or cancellation at any time.
Closing Date/Time: October 17, 2022