Department: DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Division: DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Business Unit: HR-TRANSPORTATION ADMIN
Work Type: TEMPORARY
*Pay Grade: GRADE 23
Salary Range: $31,403.52 - $45,142.56
Fulltime/Parttime: Full Time
Recruiter: JANEL HOLLAWAY
Phone: 775 888-7911
WINTER SEASONAL POSITIONS FOR FALLON/YERINGTON/WELLINGTON/HAWTHORNE/COLD SPRINGS
Highway Maintenance Workers are certified by the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) to operate a variety of complex or specialized highway maintenance and construction equipment in ofer to restore and maintain the integrity of roadway surfaces; maintain roadside slopes, shoulders, culverts and ditches to restore drainage and prevent erosion; and repair or replace related roadway appurtenances such as guard rails, markers, guide posts and fences.
Incumbents perform in a trainee capacity and acquire the knowledge, skills, and abilities required in this occupation.
This recruitment will be used to fill future vacancies as they occur with District II, within the next six months. Incumbent is responsible for performing routine maintenance, including keeping pavement surface, shoulders, clear zones, and associated roadways in good repair; summer betterment projects, and assistance in emergency operations. The hours for these positions are subject to change depending on the needs of the appointing authority and may be five 8-hour shifts or four 10-hour shifts. These positions may require working in inclement weather. This is the entry level in the series and incumbents may progress to the next level upon meeting the minimum qualifications, satisfactory performance, and with approval of the appointing authority. Copy and paste https://youtu.be/V9QL_LHwY0c into the navigation bar of your browser for an inside look at NDOT's maintenance crews.
One year of general labor or semi-skilled work experience that required the ability and dexterity to operate tools and equipment; OR one year of experience as a Highway Construction Aid in Nevada State service.
- Pursuant to NRS 284.4066, positions in this series have been identified as affecting public safety. Persons offered employment in these positions must submit to a pre-employment screening for controlled substances. In addition, federal law requires random testing for controlled substances during employment.
- A valid driver's license is required at the time of appointment and as a condition of continuing employment.
- This position may require working alternate shifts and outside of traditional business hours. The hours for this position are subject to change depending on the needs of the appointing authority and may be five 8-hour shifts or four 10-hour shifts.
- These positions require an applicant be at least 18 years of age upon application. If selected, proof of being at least 18 years of age will be required.
- Tell us how you heard about us!
- A Class A or B com-mercial driver's license is required at time of appointment and as a condition of continuing employment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read at a sufficient level to understand written instructions on vehicle operation, vehicle maintenance, work procedures, and hazardous material handling.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and the public.
- Ability to work under adverse conditions such as extreme heat or extreme cold, in or near the path of moving vehicles, or on difficult or steep terrain.
- Ability to write sufficiently to keep simple records
This recruitment may close at any time based on the number of applications received. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
*The salary range indicated in this announcement is based on the Employee/Employer retirement compensation schedule. An employer-only option is available at a reduced salary range.
The State of Nevada is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, domestic partnership, genetic information (GINA), or compensation and/or wages. Nearest Major Market: