San Mateo County Health - San Mateo Medical Center and its outpatient clinics are seeking experienced Certified Medical Assistants - Spanish Speaking Preferred
to join our Care Teams. Under direct supervision of licensed staff, Certified Medical Assistants (CMAs) perform a variety of patient care and other services required to treat patients in a health services outpatient or mobile clinic.
The current vacancies are located in the San Mateo Medical Center and it's outpatient clinics, located throughout San Mateo County. For more information on each clinic's location, please visit https://www.smchealth.org/smmc-find-location
The ideal candidate
will have experience in an Ambulatory Care Clinic and documenting in an Electronic Medical Record. Knowledge of working in Care Teams and Patient Centered Medical Home terminology is preferred, but not required. Compensation:Salary
Medical Services Assistants II who are assigned to the clinics and perform advanced patient care duties as defined in the classification specification shall receive a differential of 6.2% in addition to all other compensation.NOTE: For Extra Help positions
- Extra-help positions are short-term employment for up to 1040 hours which is equivalent to about six months; however, employment might end sooner depending on the needs of the hiring departments. Extra-help assignments are at-will and the employee is paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra-help workers are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help assignment.NOTE: For Limited Term positions -
Limited Term positions are at-will positions, designated for a specific and limited period of time, anywhere from 6 months to a maximum of 3 years depending on the assignment. Benefits package for term positions are similar to regular positions EXCEPT for retirement. Term employees receive a 401A retirement package and are not eligible for retiree health benefits or a defined benefit pension. Information for current county employees:
Current and regular San Mateo County Employees who are interested in the Limited Term assignment must submit an application and compete in the recruitment process. If you are successful in the recruitment and are being considered for the assignment, HR will work directly with you and/or your department for options. Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be allowed by your department to rotate into this assignment nor are your departments obligated to allow you to take on this assignment. The salary range for this position is "as is" and non-negotiable MSA II - Option 2: Outpatient Care
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
With additional training and/or certification(s), some employees may perform the following duties under conditions required by code and department policy:
- Accurately take and record the condition, respiration, pulse, temperature and blood pressure of patients; record other pertinent information as observed or measured.
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Operate various types of sterilization equipment.
- Transport specimens, medical records and related items.
- Enter and retrieve a variety of information in automated systems.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Perform injections including immunizations, under the guidance of licensed personnel, including the COVID Vaccine.
- Perform finger stick tests of all types including glucose testing.
- Perform skin tests including PPDs.
- Perform hearing and vision tests.
- Perform waived CLIA tests including dipstick UAs, and pregnancy tests.
- Provide for proper tracking and recording of laboratory tests.
- Take patient histories including risk factors.
- Set up, administer and record the results of EKGs.
- Teach and counsel patients on a variety of health related subjects as directed by licensed staff.
Qualifications Knowledge of:
- Principles, techniques and procedures specific to area of assignment.
- Principles and techniques in delivering patient care services related to personal hygiene, comfort, treatment, transportation, rehabilitation and physical or psychosocial needs.
- Infection control.
- Diagnostic imaging.
- Safe lifting techniques.
- Theory and practice of total body substance isolation.
- Patients' rights.
- Elder and child abuse, and domestic violence reporting requirements.
Education and Experience:
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Perform a variety of tasks and activities.
- Develop and maintain empathetic attitudes toward patients.
- Provide assistance in delivering patient care in a medical setting such as bathing, feeding, bed making, dressing, and sterilization of patient care equipment.
- Observe and record patient conditions and vital signs.
- Work with patients with multiple diagnoses.
- Work with a culturally, socio-economically diverse patient population of varying ages.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is: One year of experience in an outpatient clinic or doctor's office as a nurse's assistant or medical assistant.Licensure/Certification:
Possession of a Medical Assistant Certificate or a certificate of completion or degree from an accredited medical assisting program.
Some positions may require a current and valid Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate issued by the American Heart Association or a valid Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificate issued by the American Red Cross. Other Requirements:
These positions may require that employees work weekends, holidays, evenings or other shifts and be on-call.
Application/Examination This is an extra-help recruitment. Anyone may apply.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. San Mateo County Health will review a pplication materials as they are received, and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for a departmental interview. A copy of the certificate of completion of an approved medical assisting program must be submitted with the application by: (a) attaching to the application online or;(b) emailing it as a PDF or photo attachment to email@example.com. No exceptions will be made. Failure to do so will result in disqualification from this recruitment.
This is a continuous recruitment. The position could be filled at any time. We encourage you to apply immediately to be considered for this opportunity.
IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online. If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org to apply. Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process. At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Ximena Burns (10262021) (Medical Services Assistant II - F079)