This recruitment process is open on a continuous basis and may close at any time. Interested individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Only online applications will be accepted for this recruitment. The first review of applications will be completed on Friday , November 12 , 2021 at 4:00 p.m. . Applications received after November 12 , 2021 , may not be considered. Applicants appearing best qualified based upon a review of the application and responses to supplemental questions will be invited to participate in the recruitment process. The Ideal Candidate:
The City of El Segundo is seeking an experienced Street Maintenance Leadworker to plan for, coordinate, and lead a work crew. The Street Maintenance Leadworker participates in the installation, maintenance, repair and upkeep of the City's infrastructure in the public right-of-way, including streets, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, signage, and striping. The ideal candidate will have three or more years in asphalt, heavy equipment operation and traffic control. The Community and Organization
The City of El Segundo, incorporated in 1917, is a unique, quaint city by the sea. Home to approximately 17,000 residents and over 75,000 private sector employees of major aeronautical, sports, media, industrial and multiple Fortune 500 companies including Mattel, Chevron and most recently, the Los Angeles Times and Beyond Meat. Further, El Segundo has become the headquarters for major sports franchises, including the LA Lakers and LA Kings. As the economy broadens, El Segundo is becoming home to a variety of high tech and "creative economy" start-up companies. This is reflected in the City motto "Where Big Ideas Take Off!" Essential Job Functions
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following duties and responsibilities, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of duties and responsibilities is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
Positions in this classification typically perform a full range of duties at a level of complexity represented by the following types of responsibilities:
- Performs all work activities of assigned public works crew(s).
- Identifies and prioritizes work, schedules and assigns work, evaluates progress and oversees work; arranges with contractors to perform contracted work; may inspect work performed by contract crews.
- Reviews plans for projects; estimates time and material costs for projects and purchases supplies and equipment; ensures crews are supplied with adequate and appropriate tools, equipment and materials; evaluates and recommends changes in work methods, practices and priorities.
- Responds to service requests, issues of regulatory compliance and complaints from the public; responds to emergency calls from the public and other agencies, coordinating with other City staff as necessary; notifies customers of interruption of services; explains priorities, programs and policies to the public; provides appropriate follow-up.
- Maintains records and writes reports.
- Provides input on designated staff performance appraisals; assists in staff training; ensures work of crew is performed in a safe and efficient manner; trains work crew in the performance of work tasks and the - proper and safe operation and maintenance of equipment.
- May inspect and troubleshoot systems of assigned function for public works projects and private developments; may approve and sign off on completed, technically correct work indicating conformance to specifications and code requirements. Qualifications Knowledge, Skills and Other Characteristics: Knowledge of:
- City rules, codes and regulations relating to assigned function.
- Methods, materials and equipment used in assigned function.
- The application, operation, maintenance and repair of tools and equipment used in assigned function.
- Hazards and applicable safety precautions for equipment operation.
- Equipment capabilities, limitations and safe operating characteristics.
- OSHA safety standards related to assigned tasks and equipment operation and maintenance.
- Basic principles of supervision.
- Principles and standards related to traffic delineation.
- Reading and interpreting plans, specifications and drawings.
- Performing skilled and semi-skilled public works construction and maintenance tasks.
- Operating and maintaining equipment used in assigned function.
- Effectively analyzing and responding to emergency situations.
- Utilizing public relations techniques when responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Conducting research and preparing clear, concise and comprehensive reports.
- Presenting ideas and concepts orally and in writing.
- Maintaining accurate records.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other department staff, other City employees and the public.
Regularly exposed to weather conditions.
Regularly required to lift and/or carry heavy objects up to 90 pounds. Licensing/Certification Requirements:
A valid Class B California Driver's license. Minimum Qualifications:
Graduation from high school or GED and three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in the construction, maintenance and servicing of construction or public works projects or a closely related area including some experience in a Leadworker or similar capacity and training and experience with standard traffic delineation, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Supplemental Information Application and Selection Process
TO APPLY: Each applicant must submit a City of El Segundo Employment Application, responses to the Supplemental Qualifications Questionnaire ONLINE by the final filing date. Failure to submit the online Employment Application and responses to the Supplemental Qualifications Questionnaire will disqualify the candidate from further consideration. Please fill out the online Employment Application completely (including places of employment with complete addresses; i.e., number and street name, city and state, names of supervisors with telephone numbers, etc.). INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE SUBJECT TO REJECTION. Probationary Period:
ALL EMPLOYEES MUST SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE A 12-MONTH PROBATIONARY PERIOD IN ORDER TO ATTAIN PERMANENT STATUS WITH THE CITY OF EL SEGUNDO.
The City of El Segundo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.