Under general supervision, the Maintenance Worker, performs a variety of semi-skilled work in the maintenance of parks, grounds, trees, recreational facilities, public grounds, storm sewers, sidewalks, medians, street signs and markings, and repair and upkeep of streets. Operates maintenance and construction equipment; and does related work as required. GENERAL ACCOUNTABILITIES :
The following statements are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all inclusive for specific positions .
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Performs or learns to perform a variety of parks and streets maintenance tasks including watering, mowing, edging, weeding, spraying, trimming, pruning, planting and removing flowers, plants, trees and turf.
- Maintenance and reconstruction of curbs, gutters, sidewalks, storm drains, pavement, and pavement markings.
- Assists with the installation of park, street and recreation as it relates to facility maintenance.
- Operates or is trained to operate park and street maintenance equipment and motor vehicles such as dump trucks, water trucks, backhoes/loaders, forklifts, sprayers, chippers, power mowers, edgers, hand tools, rollers, asphalt breakers, airless and air operated paint machines, air compressors, generators, hand tools and related equipment.
- Performs routine maintenance work in the care of tools and supplies.
- Assists with the installation and maintenance of traffic control and informational devices.
- May be required to work weekends or holidays or in the event of emergencies.
- Performs other related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE OF: Uses and purposes of various hand tools employed in basic laboring; safety precautions and practices necessary in working with hand tools and heavy equipment; the operation and maintenance of a variety of light and heavy equipment.
SKILL AND ABILITY TO: Perform routine maintenance activities related to park, street or facility maintenance; understand and follow oral and written instructions; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; work with the variety of tools related to maintenance; learn to operate a variety of maintenance equipment; and perform heavy manual labor.; work indoors or outdoors under adverse weather conditions.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND GENERAL WORKING CONDITIONS: While performing maintenance activities, the Maintenance Worker is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls; reach; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; lift and/or move 80 lbs. Heavy physical indoor or outdoor work is required during the course of a normal maintenance work day. Work in inclement weather is also required. Work on holidays, weekends, and nights may be required.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
Any combination of the listed experience and education requirements may lead to a qualifying application. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
IDEAL CANDIDATE POSSESSES THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:
- One year of related experience in public works maintenance and/or construction work is related but not required
- Must possess a valid California driver's license and have a satisfactory driving record
Is highly professional, patient, respectful, and ethical; possesses excellent problem-solving skills and a can-do attitude. Communicates effectively and proactively both verbally and in writing. Enjoys working in a small town atmosphere with an engaged public, including merchants, property owners and residents. COMPENSATION:
This is a part-time, temporary position. Approximately 20 hours per week.
$22.00 to $27.00 hourly DOE RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
The recruitment will remain open until the position is filled. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, including a livescan background investigation. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction will result in disqualification or termination. OTHER INFORMATION
Temporary employees are non-benefited, at-will positions. Since the City does not participate in Social Security and is required to provide an alternative retirement plan, you are required to participate in the City's defined contribution retirement plan through Nationwide where 3.75% of your gross compensation per pay period is deducted and put into the plan. The City matches this 3.75% for a total contribution of 7.5% of your gross compensation per pay period. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Los Altos is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person's race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, mental or physical disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age or sexual orientation. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Los Altos upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.