The Modesto Irrigation District is currently recruiting to fill one full-time position in the IT Systems Support Department, Information Technology Division, to be responsible for providing technical and organizational leadership for the District's database environment including assessment of new technologies, planning, designing, implementing, and maintaining databases and database applications.A ny Qualified Individual May Apply.
This is an exempt position and is allocated to the Modesto Irrigation District Employees Association. The list established as a result of this recruitment may be used to fill other Database Specialist vacancies within the District that may occur through October 29, 2022
Examples of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Other Related Duties
- Build, document and maintain high availability enterprise database systems and associated components.
- Provide and support advanced monitoring, performance tuning, backup and resource utilization reporting for database, applications, and server systems.
- Provide and assist with advanced diagnosis and problem resolution for both databases and related applications.
- Provide technical review for proposed database design on new in-house database development.
- Serve as liaison to software/hardware vendors; serve as a high-level technical resource to support staff.
- Provide leadership during the development and enhancement of the enterprise’s production applications, including working with application developers, support and operations during the design, development and implementation of applications.
- Responsible for design and integrity of applicable network security for databases and supporting systems.
- Provide active and proactive technical assistance to supervisor and/or other Information Technology staff to evaluate hardware/software needs and solutions.
- Maintain and understand licensing for database systems. Proactively stay updated on changes and work with vendors and professional groups to maintain knowledge.
- Prepare/review bid specifications and participate in ad hoc projects.
- Review and write security scheme.
- Recognize and identify potential areas where existing policies and procedures require change or where new ones need to be developed
- Provide 24 hour/7 day a week support as needed.
Back-up to Senior Systems Programmer on operating system needs and requests; may be responsible for hardware asset management; may assist with budget preparation; may be responsible for the development and documentation of relevant disaster recovery plan; may select, train and supervise assigned staff; other duties as assigned.
For a detailed job description of this classification, including additional examples of duties, please visit:
Any combination of education, experience, knowledge and abilities may satisfy the necessary minimum qualifications. A typical way to obtain the education, experience, knowledge and abilities would be:Education:
Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in computer technology or related field.Experience:
Three (3) years experience with database administration and analysis with direct experience with Oracle and Microsoft SQL database engines. Administration of Enterprise Linux and Windows Server.Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of database design both logical and physical for Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server environments running on Enterprise Linux and Windows Server operating systems.
- Ability to maintain a high-level understanding of current and emerging relevant technologies.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with various levels throughout the District as well as the public.
- Knowledge and experience with DBA tasks and responsibilities for all aspects of database administration including but not limited to: reliability, backups, mirroring, performance tuning and server administration.
- Knowledge and experience with disaster recovery and business continuity technologies, plans, designs, implementation and validation for both servers and databases.
- Understanding of SAN storage and virtualization technologies is a plus.
- Understanding and experience with standard database languages to assist development staff with coding and tuning of code.
- Understanding of database and server software licensing requirements and strategies to ensure compliance. Ability to review, maintain and document compliance as complex licensing requirements change.
Must have a valid California Class C driver license.
Qualified applicants must submit a completed District application and responses to the attached supplemental questionnaire. Screening of applications will take place on or after November 12, 2021. Applications received after this date are not guaranteed consideration.
Applications will be reviewed on a comparative basis and only those most qualified will be invited to continue in the selection process which will consist of an overall assessment of the individual's skills through (1) oral interview; and (2) reference checks to include current and former supervisors. The applicant must perform successfully in each phase of the recruitment in order to continue in the selection process.
Applicants requiring necessary accommodations to the application process may contact Human Resources at (209) 526-7341. California Relay Service is available at (800) 735-2922 voice and (800) 735-2929 TDD. The Modesto Irrigation District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
THE SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE VERIFICATION OF HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR GED AND APPLICABLE HIGHER EDUCATION DEGREE, PASS A MEDICAL EXAM INCLUDING A DRUG AND ALCOHOL SCREEN, AND A COMPLETE BACKGROUND CHECK PRIOR TO BEGINNING WORK.
INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.
For a complete list of MID Benefits, please refer to the following: http://www.mid.org/careers/benefits.htm
Closing Date/Time: Continuous