Under the general supervision of the Assistant Director of Residential Life, the Community Desk Coordinator provides direct supervision and coordination of the overall design, implementation, and daily administration of the eight or more 24-hour customer service desks currently serving approximately 4,200 residents in University Housing Services. The daily functions include training, scheduling and supervision, administration of guest/visitor registration, desk services and residence community front desk safety and security. The Coordinator serves as a Residential Life representative on University committees, and helps develop, support, and promote the Residential Life program.Key Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Oversees daily administration of residence community front desks including operations, staffing and scheduling, policies and procedures, and payroll
- Ensures staffing, policies, and processes are implemented that adhere to and reinforce residence community safety and security initiatives
- Coordinates and ensures implementation of 24/7 guest/visitor registration program at each residence community front desk
- Oversees and ensures delivery of hall desk services including response to resident inquiries, lock outs and key access, recreation equipment check out and resident check in and check out
- Works with Residential Life professional staff and office assistants to administer emergency protocols
- Provides crisis intervention by utilizing training to provide crisis response to campus housing students and guests, which can range from direct intervention to making a referral
- Works directly with multiple UHS units (Facilities Operations, Administrative & Financial Operations, and Residential Life) regarding residence community desk administration, functions and staffing
- Remains accessible and able to respond appropriately, in person or otherwise, to urgent or emergency situations that arise on weekdays, weekends, holidays and after business hours
- Plans, directs, supervises and evaluates the residence community hall desk staff
- Coordinates staff scheduling to ensure 24/7 coverage at residence community desks during the academic year and summer
- Works closely with Payroll, University Personnel, and the Office of Equal Opportunity for all departmental residential life student staff transactions.
- Ability to collect and evaluate data, draw valid conclusions, and project consequences of various alternative courses of action.
- Knowledge of software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, database management, preferably StarRez and When To Work, and the Internet.
- Excellent oral and written communication as well as presentation skills.
- Ability to clearly answer questions and explain procedures and policies to students and the public in an efficient and courteous manner; apply judgment, discretion and initiative in performing a variety of tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a high degree of customer contact surrounding potentially emotional/controversial issues and deal with conflict while maintaining a sense of perspective and professionalism.
- Ability to respond to an emergency situation.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications for students, staff, and external agencies.
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Hospitality Management, Education or a related field
- Experience supervising professional or student staff
- Experience performing desk or guest/customer service functions
- Experience providing oversight of an administrative operation and/or process
- Experience performing payroll operations or financial tasks
- Experience working with housing and/or overnight guest housing services
- Experience working in an educational and/or residential setting
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist - Exempt I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,800/month - $5,000/month
Salary Range: $3,897/month - $7,051/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: October 29, 2021 through November 16, 2021
. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.Contact Information
408-924-2252CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Additional Information
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled