Recruitment Number VA1531
Posting Period Open Until Filled (Review of Applications will begin 12/09/21. Applications received after that date may be considered.)
On Campus Only No
Working Title GRAPHIC DESIGNER (Graphic Designer II)
Class Title GRAPHIC DESIGNER -12 MONTH
Salary Range (From $ to $) $3,717 - $6,726 per month / $44,604 - $80,712 annually (New employees should anticipate being hired at the beginning of the salary range)
Department Creative Media and Technology
Number of Positions 1
FLSA Code Non-Exempt
Status Regular: Permanent (after one-year probationary period)
Pay Plan 12/12
CBU/MOU R09 - CSUEU Technical & Support Services
Quick Link https://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/6938
Hours Per Day 8 hours during the school year / 10 hours during the summer
Days Per Week 5 days during the school year / 4 days during the summer
Under general direction from the Director of Creative Media and Technology (CMT), incumbent is responsible for performing graphic design and production of print and digital media content based on campus standards. Specifically, the incumbent shall consult with campus clients; creating effective visual communications for multiple platforms and using multiple techniques; apply graphic identity and use templates; and collaborate with other CMT service units for the production of client deliverables. The incumbent will participate as member of CMT Print, Web, Photo, and Media Production service teams in implementing effective visual communications for a variety of uses supporting the campus mission, in conjunction with the strategic plan and priorities.
For a full description of job duties, please visit: https://csuchico.box.com/v/VA1531-Position-Description
As of September 30, 2021, the CSU requires all faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or have received a medical or religious exemption. Selected candidates should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/. Questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org (staff and management positions) or email@example.com (faculty positions).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Incumbent must possess:
• Comprehensive knowledge of graphic design and production principles and communication theory and production techniques and principles, including a basic understanding of marketing and promotion concepts.
• Thorough knowledge of current campus documents and University-wide publication needs.
Working knowledge of:
• Applicable graphic design software packages and hardware systems and peripherals, including Adobe Creative Suite.
• Copyright laws applicable to design work and creative properties, including those related to use of graphic and text based materials.
• Printing and other vendor services to prepare specifications for printing and other services and ensure the most effective use of resources.
• Design and electronic prepress processes used in the production of complex publications.
• The principles of artistic and graphic design and illustration.
• Applicable graphic, design and desktop publishing software packages, including Adobe Creative Suite.
• The use of color, tone, shading, harmony and perspective drawing.
General knowledge of:
• The principles of print design, typeface, color, layout, and production techniques.
• Systems, techniques and processes used in website design, photography, printmaking, and other applicable media.
• Demonstrated understanding of various communication vehicles and methods.
Incumbent must possess:
• Strong graphic design skills and artistic ability in order to translate communication needs into artistic design.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Incumbent must have the ability to:
• Use interactive technologies and to create new methods for combining software and graphic packages to address communication and visual product goals.
• Understand University-level curriculum concepts and convey them graphically.
• Prepare camera-ready materials.
• Plan, coordinate and direct graphic art communications projects and handle multiple priorities.
• Consult and communicate effectively with faculty, staff, and students and to interpret and translate their needs into effective visual formats.
• Translate University communication needs into artistic designs to maximize the impact and message to the intended audience.
• Understand communication goals.
• Effectively use applicable graphic, design and desktop publishing software packages to create visual material.
• Maintain currency with new and upgraded applicable computer software packages and systems.
• Design, layout and prepare finished artwork to develop a visual product.
• Perform assigned duties.
Required Education and/or Experience
The above knowledge and skills are normally obtained through a college degree in graphic design, fine arts or a related field or through technical experience and/or relevant coursework, equivalent to four years of professional web design experience.
Two years of increasingly responsible web design or related experience.
Additional Requirements for this Position
* Some minimal telework may be an option for this position.
** The required Portfolio Submission should include examples of print and Web images.
Preference may be given to applicants with the following as they may be considered specialized skills:
• Bachelor's Degree in Communication Design, Graphic Design, Fine Arts, or a related field.
• Experience designing websites.
• Multimedia design experience.
California State University, Chico, in accordance with CSU policy, requires that the successful candidate complete a background check (including a criminal records check, sexual offender registry check, and/or fingerprinting) prior to assuming this position. Failure to satisfactorily complete or pass the background check may impact the job offer or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for posted positions identified as sensitive. This position is considered a sensitive position based on CSU guidelines.
This position alternates between remaining in a stationary position operating a personal computer for long periods of time and frequently moving about inside the office. Must be able to travel across campus to other offices and buildings for meetings and events and ability to distinguish color.
Typical office environment operating standard office equipment.
This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver (if eligible).
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community
California State University (CSU), Chico is a comprehensive and residential public University, holding Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) designation and operating as part of the 23-campus CSU system. The University enrolls over 17,000 students from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, with over half identifying as first-generation college students. Graduate and undergraduate programs boast high-quality research experiences, exceptional faculty mentoring, and civic and global engagement opportunities. The campus motto, "Today Decides Tomorrow," is brought to life by inclusive pedagogy, experiential learning, and co-curricular programming. The Chico Experience prepares students to be critical thinkers, engaged citizens, and inspired stewards of environmental, social, and economic resources. Together, they will become leaders solving the challenges of the 21st century.
The campus is located in Northern California, 90 minutes from the state capital, Sacramento, and a three-hour drive from San Francisco Bay Area. A safe residential community, Chico offers year-round natural beauty, outdoor leisure activities, and a thriving arts, music, and events scene. We acknowledge and are mindful that CSU, Chico stands on lands that were originally occupied by the first people of this area, the Mechoopda, and we recognize their distinctive spiritual relationship with this land and the waters that run through campus.
CSU, Chico is committed to recruiting outstanding candidates who reflect the diverse, intercultural, and intersectional identities of our student body. The ideal candidate will embrace our values predicated on the primacy of student success and the elimination of achievement gaps, have demonstrated experience working with diverse populations, and will contribute to policies, programs, and activities that support an inclusive, accessible, and equitable learning and working environment.
The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date) 11/03/2021
Close Date (posting close date)
Open Until Filled Yes
2. Cover Letter
3. Link to Portfolio Website
1. Optional Applicant Documents
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled