About North Las Vegas:
Established in 1946, the City of North Las Vegas is the third largest city in Nevada and is one of the fastest growing cities in the state. Serving a community of approximately 260,000 people. North Las Vegas is comprised of a diverse group of residents, businesses, and employees dedicated to positively influencing the community and making an impact. The City embraces its' diversity, living up to its' motto of being "Your Community of Choice."
Police Department Information
The North Las Vegas Police Department has three commands, which are divided into seventeen divisions. The Police Department's mission is to encourage and engage the community to work as one in order to provide a safe, secure, and enjoyable community. The Police Department is committed to having a positive impact in the City of North Las Vegas by reducing crime, reducing the fear of crime, and enhancing the quality of life in the community.
Police Communications Dispatchers are an integral part of the North Las Vegas Police Department. The Police Communications Division is operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. When someone calls for help, the dispatcher's voice is the first one they hear. Police Communications Dispatchers perform a variety of complex police dispatching duties that includes the following: receives, screens, prioritizes emergency 9-1-1 and non-emergency calls; dispatches police patrol units, detectives, SWAT, K9, CSI, Animal Protection Services, Parking Enforcement, etc.; documents calls for service and officer activity into a computer-aided dispatch system; queries and enters into criminal history data bases; maintains confidentiality; demonstrates professionalism, compassion, and empathy.
The salary for this position is currently $45,432.78 - $75,136.44 annually. All new employees hired for this position will start at the minimum salary range, no exceptions. Eligible employees will receive merit increases until reaching the maximum salary range.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- One year of general office experience directly involved in performing customer service, public contact duties, and multi-tasking.
- Must be 18 years of age.
Licenses and Certifications:
- NCIC Certification must be obtained within six months of hire/reclassification.
- Must possess a valid state driver's license and maintain satisfactory motor vehicle record, and the ability to obtain appropriate Nevada state driver's license within required time frame.
- The Police Communications Division is staffed 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays.
- The training program lasts approximately 7 months and assigned shifts will rotate throughout the training program.
- Dispatcher trainees who have passed training and become solo dispatchers will be assigned to a shift that fits the needs of the Division, which could be days, swings, or graveyard.
- Currently, the schedule consists of 10-hour shifts and are divided into two squads with days off being Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, or Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- May be called in to work overtime to accommodate staffing requirements and/or for emergency situations.
- Any felony conviction.
- Any domestic violence conviction.
- Gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor convictions will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Although there have been recent changes to laws regarding the legal possession and consumption of marijuana, the City of North Las Vegas will continue to adhere to its professional standards and guidelines as it relates to recent and continuous use of the drug.
How To Apply:
- Complete the online application, answer all questions, and click on submit .
- Upload a typing certificate which verifies typing 45 accurate net words per minute for five minutes with a maximum of ten (10) errors. Due to COVID-19 online typing certificates will be accepted for this posting (backspacing option must be turned off). Typing certificate cannot be more than one year old from date of application.
- Upload a resume.
- Upload any other supporting documentation that shows how minimum qualifications are met.
- Once the application, resume, typing certificate, and other documentation have been reviewed and it has been determined that the minimum qualifications have been met, an invitation to take the CritiCall Test may be sent. The invitation and testing instructions will be sent to the email provided on the application.
- All persons who meet the minimum requirements and wish to apply for this position are personally responsible for completing all steps described herein.
- Online applications must specifically indicate how minimum requirements are met.
- Evaluation of meeting requirements will be made solely on information provided.
- Skipping any of the steps could cause automatic disqualification.
CritiCall Test Information
- Invitations to take the CritiCall Test may be sent to those who meet minimum qualifications. Invitations may be sent to the email provided on the application or by phone.
- The CritiCall Test is a computer-based test that is used for the Police Communications Dispatcher position. The test measures job-related skills that are necessary for this position.
- The CritiCall Test modules include:
- Decision Making
- Data Entry
- Call Summarization
- Cross Referencing
- Memory Recall
- Map Reading
- Sentence Clarity
- Candidates much achieve the required minimum score determined by the Department using a validation process.
- Allow 2-3 hours to complete the test.
- Those successfully passing the CritiCall Test, may be called for an interview.
- Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
- During the interview, practical exam(s) may be administered.
- Upon selection, the next step is the Background Investigation Process - Includes an ex tensive background check, polygraph/CVSA examination, medical/drug screen exam, and a psychological evaluation.
- All selected candidates must pass the Background Investigation in order to move forward in the process.
The CritiCall Test is weighted at 25%; the Practical Exams are weighted at 25%; and the Interview is weighted at 50%.
Skills, Physical Abilities and Mental Abilities:
- Correct English usage, spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Operate telephones, computers, computer peripherals, and other related office equipment.
- Must be able to work any shift or days of the week, to include evenings, holidays, weekends and overtime as assigned.
- Interact with people during stressful or emotional situations and maintain composure.
- Perform duties under highly stressful or emotional conditions and type accurately at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Listen well and retain important information.
- Perform multiple tasks simultaneously with a high degree of accuracy.
- Sit for extended periods of time at a fixed position until scheduled break or meal time.
- Mobility sufficient to move around in a dispatch center environment; strength to lift and move boxes of supplies weighing up to 30 pounds; and endurance to work within a confined area for long periods of time.
- Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for: making observations sufficient to handle multiple tasks; reading computer screens with varying colors and font sizes; listening with a headset and telephone handset; and listening and understanding multiple conversations at one time.
Benefits (Most positions include the following)
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental and Vision insurance plan option, with affordable low cost alternative plans available.
- 3 weeks of annual leave accrued each year (up to applicable maximums).
- 3 weeks of sick leave accrued each year (up to applicable maximums).
- Employer-paid participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System of Nevada (PERS).
- Employer-paid Term Life and AD&D insurance for employees, plus dependent life insurance.
- Deferred compensation 457(b) Plan, which is a government deferred compensation plan similar to a 401(k) plan. It offers both pre-tax and after-tax savings and investment options.
Deadline - Open until all positions have been filled.
- Qualification Assessment: Oral Interview 100%
Passing Score: 70%
- People Group: Teamster Non Supervisor
- Grade: TNE-17
- Minimum Salary: 24.27
- Maximum Salary: 40.14
- Pay Basis: HOURLY