Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale
.About the Position:
Performs professional grounds maintenance work, supervision, planning, budgeting, and coordination of Scottsdale Stadium and Indian School Park maintenance operations. This position is responsible for assuring field quality and readiness for Spring Training and other special events in a municipal setting.Selection Process
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
- Drug Screening
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in the study of Soil Science, Turfgrass Management, or related field.
- Four years' grounds maintenance experience (maintaining sand based sports fields specifically baseball fields for major-league baseball or minor-league baseball facilities).
- Requires at least one year of Supervisory Lead experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and job related experience may substitute for the educational requirements on a year-for-year basis.
- Preferred: Municipal recreation experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date. The Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles requires that out-of-state driver's licenses must be surrendered within 10 days of relocating to the State of Arizona.
- Turf management skills are required and can be demonstrated by providing documentation indicating completion of an accredited turf management program from an accredited university or community college and/or an Arizona Certified Landscape Professional certificate.
- Must possess and maintain a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification prior to the start date.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved for remote work.
- Preferred: Certified Park and Recreation Professional.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment. Essential Functions
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Supervises employees and coordinates personnel-related activities to include, but not limited to: training, approving work schedules, recommending/approving personnel actions, coaching and counseling, establishing performance goals, and writing performance evaluations.
- Prepares, justifies and monitors the budget(s) for the given area of responsibility, including the keeping of related records. Accomplishes objectives through innovative management techniques.
- Plans and organizes work to be performed weekly; schedules equipment and personnel; orders materials (plants, grass types and tools); determines material types and quantities from qualified vendors.
- Monitors 20-25 acres of sand based sports turf at Indian School Park and Scottsdale Stadium. Coordinates and collaborates with Irrigation Control Technician to ensure proper water usage weekly/daily and monthly basis. Ensures compliance annually of ADWR turf report and City's water conservation plans. Maintains complete understanding of large turf facilities and current major league baseball standards.
- Provides and budgets annually the life cycle cost for protective batter's eye/windscreen/portable screens to meet professional baseball standards. Maintains field geometry of skinned infield, mound/plate areas and bullpens to major league baseball standards.
- Develops and implement an annual agronomy calendar for all Professional Baseball fields.
- Manages life cycle of equipment, tools, and facility assets.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Click here to review the entire job description.The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
- Required to lift up to fifty pounds.
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.