Recruit Police Officers
Prescott Police Department
Pay Range: $25.32 to $37.97 hourly
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (eligible for overtime)
Deadline to Apply: Continuous
The City of Prescott Police Department delivers quality Community Based Policing in active partnership with the citizens we serve. We are seeking career and community oriented individuals who desire to be a professional, positive influence in their community. We serve a family-friendly community of approximately 40,000 residents, located adjacent to Prescott National Forest. Our beautiful town square is in the heart of historic downtown and is the site of year-round community activities.
Candidates MUST complete the following steps in order to be considered.
(1) Complete the City of Prescott online application by clicking here.
(2) Complete the Police Officer Recruit packet by clicking here.
After acceptance of your completed online application, you will be notified of the test time and location.
Selection Process: Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis with testing occurring as necessary. Candidates considered for employment must successfully complete a physical examination (including drug screening), psychological evaluation, polygraph interview, and a comprehensive background investigation. Additional interview(s) may be scheduled with the Chief of Police or their designee. The successful candidate will be expected to complete a law enforcement academy.
Work Schedule: Officers work rotating schedules which may include days, nights, weekends and/or overtime. Work schedules are subject to change according to the needs of the community.
• Performs a variety of law enforcement activities including patrolling streets and other public places on assigned shift in a marked, radio-equipped vehicle, on foot or on a bicycle.
• Emphasizes community policing, meeting and talking with the public; discovers and prevents the commission of crimes; enforces State and municipal laws and ordinances; responds to calls for assistance.
• Offers information and directions to the public; employs discretion in solving problems, intervenes in disputes, apprehends suspects, makes arrests, issues citations, identifies witnesses, conducts preliminary investigations, and re-establishes law and order at the scene.
• Interviews and/or counsels involved parties; prepares documentation of activities performed and information gathered.
• Follows-up on cases. Protects and preserves crime scenes.
• Collects physical evidence; photographs and/or sketches crime scenes and accidents; assists with filing cases; testifies in court; interacts with other law enforcement agencies; interacts with a culturally and socially diverse population.
• May transport prisoners to/from jail/court; may operate motorcycle; handle high risk tactical operations or hostage situations individually or while being assigned to the special weapons and tactics as a team member or crisis negotiator.
• Work with a specialty trained dog as a canine unit officer.
• Work in the Investigations Section to perform detailed follow-up investigations and prepare cases for prosecuting as a detective.
• This list of duties is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by positions in this class.
• Other duties as assigned.
MUST meet all Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board conditions for certification which include: at least 21 years of age before end of certification training; high school graduate or equivalent; United States citizen; possess a valid Arizona motor vehicle operator's license with a good driving record.
Employee Core Beliefs
City of Prescott employees should seek to uphold the City's core beliefs throughout their day-to-day business and with every customer they come in contact with, both internal and external. Our core beliefs are: Act with Integrity, Work as a Team, Have Personal Commitment and Loyalty, Solve Problems, Take Pride In Excellent Results, High Level of Productivity and Being Nice.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
• Knowledge of departmental rules and regulations and applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
• Knowledge of the principles, practices and requirements associated with the collection, storage, and destruction of criminal records.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of modern law enforcement, including the principles and practices of traffic control, patrol, criminal investigation, and crime prevention.
Physical Demands And Working Conditions:
• Perform a multitude of tasks simultaneously or in logical and efficient succession.
• Sit for extended periods of time while driving a City vehicle.
• Physical agility to pursue offenders on foot; stop and subdue resisting offenders using necessary force where appropriate, including deadly force.
• Access paved, gravel, rough, or turf areas; climb elevations.
• Exposure to dirt, dust, pollen, inclement weather, temperature extremes, traffic hazards, body fluids, hazardous chemical, firearms, various evidence, firearms, and unpleasant odors.
• Physically move persons and other property up to 160 pounds for long distances with or without assistance.
• Operate both mobile police equipment and a variety of standard office equipment including: computer, telephone, calculator, copy and fax machines requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
• Use firearm and other related police emergency equipment.
Successful candidate will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
• Drug screening
• Motor vehicle records check
• Criminal background screening
City of Prescott Contact Information
201 S. Cortez St.
Prescott, AZ 86303
Phone: 928-777-1410 / Fax: 928-777-1213
Major Benefits For Full-Time Regular Employees: Paid time off; ten paid holidays and one floating holiday per year; employee and/or family health and life insurance; short term and long term disability; Retirement and Social Security contributions; other optional benefits such as deferred compensation plans and additional life insurance. PROBATION: Each employee must satisfactorily serve an established probationary period. NOTE: When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the selection process. In accordance with A.R.S. 23 - 493, this position has been identified as "Safety Sensitive". The City of Prescott is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
201 S. Cortez St., Prescott, Arizona