The Department of Teacher Education at the SJSU Lurie College of Education is committed to preparing highly qualified teachers who engage in socially just teaching practice, and are ready to address the challenges of the 21st century and teach within diverse student populations. For information on the Department please see our website at https://www.sjsu.edu/teachered/Brief Description of Duties
We invite applications for a pool of part-time instructors to provide clinical supervision and seminars to elementary and secondary teacher candidates engaged in student teaching. Clinical supervision involves observations of classroom teaching (in person or on-line), maintaining records of candidates areas of growth and need, leading bi-weekly seminars, attending monthly supervisor meetings and professional development, and serving as liaison between the university and school sites.
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity - in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation - through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
- Faculty shall organize all their classes within the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS).
- All classes must be offered and meet as scheduled throughout the entire semester or term, in the mode assigned and listed in the schedule of classes (i.e., asynchronous, synchronous, bichronous, in-person, or hybrid).
- Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent foreign degree) at the time of application
- Valid California Clear Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- Teaching Experience in K-12 schools
- Ability to mentor and evaluate adult learners. Evidence of satisfactory achievement in previous academic work.
- Applicants should demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
- Technology is an integral part of supervision at SJSU. Here is a brief list of the kinds of technology use that is typical in a given semester: the Google suite of applications (e.g. docs, slides), Canvas, video, and integrated annotation and feedback tools.
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- Experience and knowledge of classroom structures and pedagogical strategies supporting emergent bilinguals.
- Commensurate with experience within ranks established by the CSU Salary Schedule
. Application Procedure
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter including areas of expertise, professional experience, and courses you are qualified to teach
- List of References
This is a continuing open position.Conditional Offer
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States. Proof of immunization against COVID-19 or proof of a medical or religious exemption and compliance with testing protocols is required for employment. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Appointment is contingent upon budget and enrollment considerations and subject to order of assignment provisions in the collective bargaining agreement between California State University and California Faculty Association. These provisions state the "Order of Work," or the order in which available courses must be assigned to faculty, starting with tenure line faculty and ending with new lecturer appointees.San José State University: Silicon Valley's Public University
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley - one of the most innovative regions in the world - San José State University
is the founding campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system and the first public university in the West. The 2020 #1 Most Transformative University in the nation according to Money Magazine, San José State is an essential partner in the economic, cultural, and social development of Silicon Valley, the Bay Area, and California. SJSU is a top-200 school nationally in research funding and second highest in research productivity in the CSU system. This cutting-edge research, combined with its world-class scholarship, student-centered learning opportunities, and experiential and interdisciplinary programs, allows SJSU to provide transformative opportunities that advance the public good locally and globally.
San José State enrolls more than 36,000 students - many are historically underserved, and around 45% are first-generation and 38% are Pell-recipients. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution. The university's commitment to social justice extends from its vibrant, inclusive campus to an international network of over 275,000 alumni. As such, San José State is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and community can benefit from different and divergent cultural and identity perspectives.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled