LIBRARY ASSISTANT I(Full-Time Only) SALARY INFORMATION
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is being held to establish an open eligible list to fill current/future Library Assistant I Full-Time positions within the OC Public Libraries. DEADLINE TO APPLY: Friday, January 21, 2022 at 11:59 (PST)
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. OC PUBLIC LIBRARIES
is a network of community libraries located in your neighborhood or as near as your computer. Our 33 public branches in 24 cities and unincorporated areas of the County of Orange, as well as a branch for residents of Orangewood Children's Home provided library services to residents throughout the county. OC Public Libraries provides safe and easy access to libraries for the community, offers a broad spectrum of materials in multiple formats, provides the community with the best access to the collection, and delivers knowledgeable, friendly, and experienced staff to support the information needs of the community. OC Public Libraries is a division of OC Community Resources
. THE OPPORTUNITY
Under supervision, the Library Assistant I performs a wide variety of clerical functions in conjunction with other library staff (Library Assistant II and Librarians) to perform a wide variety of duties which require specific knowledge of library rules, procedures, and practices.
Library Assistant I duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide excellent customer service using library best practices.
- Perform monetary transactions
- Utilize automated systems to search and process patron requests for books and/or other library materials.
- Process new library materials to ensure items are correctly labeled, attached to the correct branch, and all identifying labels have been appropriately attached.
- Check shelves for proper placement of books and for books in need of repair.
- Perform circulation desk related tasks, as needed.
- Prepare and/or maintaining various files and records.
- Assist library patrons by providing simple reference and directional information.
- Prepare exhibits, displays, or other publicity materials.
- Review standard reference sources for information requested by staff and patrons
- Assist in the opening and closing procedures for the branch and/or departments.
- Recommend books and other library materials for purchase and withdrawal.
- Provide patrons with instructions on how to use various types of library equipment.
- Assist Librarians in special programs or events.
- Maintain library equipment and notifying supervisors if equipment is broken or not working properly.
- Train and provide guidance to volunteers.
The ideal candidate will possess at least six months of work experience in a library setting or six months of general clerical experience. Special Note:
OC Public Libraries provides service to various locations seven days per week. Incumbents should be prepared to work weekends, evenings, and rotate to various locations. These positions have a set schedule and are not on call. Schedules are subject to change on a case by case basis for this position. MINIMUM QUALIFCATIONS
Please click here
for information regarding the minimum qualifications, including physical requirements for Library Assistant I. RECRUITMENT PROCESS Veterans Employment Preference
T he County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy. Application Screening | (Refer/Non-Refer)
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all application materials for minimum qualifications. After screening, candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process. All candidates will be notified via email of their status in the process. Online Multiple Choice Exam (Weighted 100%)
An online multiple choice exam consisting of job related questions will be administered. Candidates who pass this exam will be placed on the eligible list.
Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedure above may be modified. Candidates will be notified of any changes in the process via email. Eligible List
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination or testing as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, will be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted, they will be required to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.EMAIL NOTIFICATIONEmail
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE:
User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to the Library Assistant I recruitment, please contact Lori Wright at Lori.Wright@occr.ocgov.com
or (714) 480-2738.
Orange County is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: 1/21/2022 11:59 PM Pacific