Description: Department: Engineering Technology Title: Assistant Professor Status: Full-time Tenure Track Approximate Starting Date: January 2023
The Department of Engineering Technology of the California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) invites applications for our full-time Assistant Professor of Engineering Technology with emphasis in Electrical
expertise, job opening. We seek a dynamic educator who is committed to creating an environment of active learning for our B.S. in Marine Engineering Technology and Facilities Engineering Technology degree programs, who will also engage in scholarship that advances the mission of the University. Candidates will possess a Doctoral degree in an appropriate discipline of engineering or engineering technology (electrical, electronics, mechatronics) or a related field.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled. ABOUT CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY (Cal Maritime):
Located on a scenic waterfront campus in Vallejo, California (30 miles northeast of San Francisco), California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) is a unique and specialized campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU)
system. Serving a population of approximately 900 undergraduate and 50 graduate students, we are one of only seven degree-granting maritime academies in the United States - and the only one on the West Coast.
Cal Maritime offers seven baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs (GSMA), Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Marine Transportation, and Oceanography. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future Merchant Marine, Coast Guard and Naval Reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree. For more information about California State University Maritime Academy, please visit our web page at https://www.csum.edu
Our programs focus on intellectual learning, applied technology, leadership development, and global awareness. Cal Maritime students participate in training cruises aboard the Training Ship Golden Bear or other international educational experiences - gaining a unique perspective on our increasingly global culture and economy. Cal Maritime is committed to being a leading educational institution recognized for excellence in the business, engineering, operations, security and policy of the transportation industries of the Pacific Rim and beyond. We are equally committed to hiring and retaining diverse and dedicated faculty and staff who lead the way in helping our students expand their knowledge and potential. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This is a tenure-track position in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Department of Engineering Technology offers the Bachelor of Science in Maritime Engineering Technology and Facilities Engineering Technology degrees and provides instructional support to other degree and professional training programs on campus. Expectations and responsibilities of this tenure-track position include but are not limited to:
- Instruction of marine and facilities engineering technology electrical course work in classrooms and laboratories. The undergraduate curricula will include fundamental lecture and laboratory engineering courses such as:
- E lectrical Circuits -- Electronics -- Electrical Machinery -- Power Engineering
- Instrumentation and Measurement -- Controls and Automation -- Basic Programming
- Student advising in the Engineering Technology programs.
- Engaging in scholarly and creative activities aligned with the individual expertise, the university, and the faculty contract goals.
- Service in department and campus-wide academic and administrative committees and task force opportunities
- Minimum of a doctorate degree in an appropriate discipline of engineering or engineering technology (electrical, electronics, mechatronics) or related field.
- Professional maritime or industrial experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication and leadership skills.
- Interests and expertise in more than one technical area;
- Academic instructional experience;
- Engineering leadership role experience; and/or
- Leadership training experience
: Salary is commensurate with the education, qualifications, and experience of the individual. BENEFITS:
An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available for "qualifying" positions which includes medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, retirement plans, fee waiver, vacation, and sick leave. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
- The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK
- Typical classroom and office environment are in a two-story building with elevator access.
- Some classrooms are aboard the training ship and require climbing up and down ship ladders and gangways; lifting and carrying material from pier to training ship; and occasional work in excess heat, cold, dampness or dry atmospheric conditions.
- Applicants must provide proof of US citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days from the date of hire.
- A background check investigation (including criminal records check) is required prior to employment. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of a current CSU employees who was conditionally offered the position.
- Applicants must submit on hire official documentation as proof of degree, license, or certificates as required.
Interested parties must apply on-line through our Cal Maritime Jobs
website. Click "APPLY NOW" to complete and submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application and attach the following:
- Cal Maritime Employment Application (required)
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- In later phases of the search, Finalist may be requested to provide the following information prior to a final campus interview:
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three letters of recommendation (professional references)
- Teaching evaluations (if any)
- Other information as needed
Based upon a review of applications and accompanying documents, only those persons whose qualifications best match job requirements will be interviewed. Applicants not selected for an interview will be notified only after the position closes and the successful candidate has been selected. TITLE IX:
Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at on the CSU Title IX
website. EEO STATEMENT:
Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at (707) 654-1146. DISCLAIMER:
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or changed.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled