Salary: $16.58 Hourly USD
General Statement of Duties
This position is responsible for the collection of solid waste.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
The principal function of an employee in this class is to perform collection and disposal duties. The work is performed under the direct supervision of the Crew Leader, Solid Waste Coordinator, and/or the Environmental Services Division Manager but some leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgement and initiative. An employee in this class performs the duties of other employees in the Environmental Services Department as required or as assigned by supervisory personnel. The principal duties of this class are performed in an outdoor environment that may involve adverse weather conditions and related hazards. Work is performed in a very noisy place that exposes me to much dust, dirt, grease and machinery with moving parts requiring the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc. An employee in this class may perform additional duties as necessary.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
• Loads and empties solid waste into truck;
• Transports solid waste to landfill for disposal;
• Performs routine maintenance on truck or other equipment;
• Informs appropriate personnel of needed repairs;
• Performs pre- and post-trip inspections;
• Washes truck on a regular basis;
• Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems;
• Attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain current on the principles, practices and new developments in assigned work areas;
• The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with other Department and City employees, Environmental Services patrons, and the public.
• Responds to citizens' questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner;
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of collection procedures and routes;
• Knowledge of local geography and streets;
• Knowledge of preventive maintenance techniques as related to division equipment and vehicles;
• Some knowledge of Departmental objectives and purposes;
• Skill in the operation of solid waste collection equipment and other related equipment;
• Ability to communicate well with others; both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language;
• Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures and instructions;
• Ability to use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or oral instructions;
• Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines;
• Ability and willingness to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
• Integrity, ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
Acceptable Experience and Training
• Some related maintenance experience; or
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Required Special Qualifications
Essential Physical Abilities
• Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to understand department and safety rules and regulations and work around high traffic areas;
• Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work safely in heavy traffic and equipment operation;
• Sufficient manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate hand and power tools and related equipment;
• Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to work in trenches, in rough terrain and have access to various related areas.
• Ability to stand, walk, bend, crouch or stoop intermittently.
• Ability to frequently lift light objects that weigh less than 24 pounds and occasionally heavy objects that weigh 25 pounds or more.