Senior Assistant Librarian, STEM Initiatives Librarian
Reference, Instruction, and Outreach Services
University Library Position Description
The University Library at California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) invites applications for a Tenure-track position at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian (12-month) with the appointment starting in Summer 2022.
At CSUDH, we celebrate and respect diversity in all forms that include every race, religion, gender, ethnicity, veterans, people with varied abilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. CSUDH is seeking applications from candidates who can demonstrate experience in teaching and working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and contribute to the University's mission, vision, and core values.
For more information: Mission, Vision, and Core Values
. The University Library
Department of Reference, Instruction, and Outreach Services
The services of the University Library are housed in a 140,000 square foot, five-story, energy-efficient addition completed in 2010. Staffing currently consists of 11.5 FTE professional librarians and 15.5 FTE paraprofessionals. The Library is home to two 33-capacity instructional labs, 100+ computers, 11 group study rooms, multiple quiet study and collaborative spaces, and informal lounge areas interspersed throughout the building and a café. It has emerged as CSUDH students' "Academic Home away from Home." CSUDH students study in a stunningly beautiful library that contains multicultural artwork reflecting the ethnic and cultural diversity of the campus, the community, and the Southern California area.
For more information see: https://www.csudh.edu/library/ The Position
The University Library at California State University, Dominguez Hills, seeks a collaborative, user-centered Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM) Initiatives Librarian (tenure-track) to join the Reference, Instruction, and Outreach Services, team. Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Liaise with faculty and students in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) disciplines and related programs to provide information literacy instruction, collection development, research support (virtually and in-person), and outreach services.
- Liaise with student success programs in STEM, such as the McNair's Scholars Program, LSAMP , and RISE , to provide library research and instruction services
- Engage in general outreach and instruction activities, events, and programming
- Develop programming related to GIS/geospatial and data services
- Promote and advocate for open science
- Collaborate with the Arts liaison librarian on STEAM initiatives
- Collaborate with the Office of Research to provide library support for funded projects for STEM
- Explore collaborations with existing and proposed maker spaces on campus
- Develop library initiatives and partnerships related to STEM
- Engage in scholarship and service to the University and profession
- Applicants must have experience in working with students and colleagues from diverse age, socioeconomic, cultural, and academic backgrounds.
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution, or international equivalent, by the time of appointment
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience providing reference services and research help
- Teaching experience using active learning strategies
- Applied knowledge of the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education
- Knowledge and familiarity with STEM, open science, and GIS data or data visualization
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and multiple tasks while meeting deadlines and solving problems in a rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrated potential to meet the requirements for tenure and promotion under the Library's criteria for librarianship, scholarship, and service.
- Evidence of a commitment to social justice, diversity, anti-racism, and inclusion in library practice
Preferred /Desired Qualifications
- Educational background in STEM
- Experience providing reference and library instruction services in STEM disciplines
- Demonstrated knowledge of Springshare products such as LibGuides, LibChat, and LibWizard
- An established record of peer-reviewed scholarly publications or presentations
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
CSU COVID-19 Vaccination Interim Policy
The California State University (CSU) is committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of our students, faculty, staff, administrators, and the communities we serve, as well as maintaining higher education access and attainment for our students, as such, we embrace a comprehensive strategy designed to reduce the likelihood of transmission of the COVID-19 virus. The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption if eligible. Any candidate advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The system-wide policy can be found at: https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
Questions about the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Mandated Reporter Per CANRA
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment. How to Apply -
To apply for this position, please click the "Apply Now" button on this page.
The position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin in January/2022. For full consideration, please submit your completed application no later than January 10, 2022.
- Current Curriculum Vitae with contact information
- Cover letter
- Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (2 pages maximum)*
- List of 3 references with contact information**
- Unofficial transcripts (an official transcript will be required for the finalist)***
*Given CSUDH's commitment to diversity and inclusion for all students, faculty, staff, and administrators, describe your individual commitment and experiences in advancing diversity and inclusion and how they relate to your future teaching and research.
* *This position requires three letters of recommendation (LORs). Please do not upload your LORs with your application. Your list of references will be notified at the appropriate time during the search process. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the LOR. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUDH by logging back into your applicant portal.
***For the finalist with International transcripts, a United States Equivalency certification will be required.
A United States (US) Equivalency certification is required for earned/awarded/conferred foreign terminal degrees, which is from a foreign Academic Institution for foreign studies. The US Equivalency certification is used to validate foreign studies from an academic credential evaluation agency and is evaluated on foreign studies and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from the United States. The certification must translate the information in English, and confirm that your highest terminal degree is US Equivalent to a US terminal degree (i.e., Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate's, Doctor's of Philosophy). The certification can be emailed to email@example.com
or mailed directly to the office of Faculty Affairs and Development, 1000 East Victoria Street, WH-368, Carson, CA 90747.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Stephanie Brasley, Ed.D. firstname.lastname@example.org
University Library Dean
CSU, Dominguez Hills
1000 East Victoria Street, (5034E)
Carson, CA 90747 Closing Statement
CSUDH is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
For more information: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the Human Resources' Office (310) 243-3771.
Clery Act crime statistics for CSUDH are available at Campus Security Report (Clery)
, or by calling University Police at (310) 243-3639.
Upon appointment, all candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
The California State University is Smoke and Tobacco Free. Smoking, Vaping and other Tobacco use are Not Permitted anywhere on University property. Education Code 42356, CCR Title 5, Article 9.
For more information see: Smoke & Tobacco-Free
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled