Department: DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
Division: DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
Business Unit: HR-INSECT ABATEMENT
Work Type: PERMANENT
*Pay Grade: GRADE 23
Salary Range: $31,403.52 - $45,142.56
Fulltime/Parttime: Full Time
Recruiter: KENNETH R SCHULZ
Phone: 775 684-0147
Agricultural Inspectors perform sampling and inspection of agricultural products at shipping point inspection facilities, and participate in pest control and noxious weed eradication; check and grade condition of fruits and vegetables, and assist plant pathologists and entomologists in the preparation of samples for analysis.
This position is located at the Department of Agriculture, Division of Plant Industry, Entomology Section in Sparks.
The incumbent receives training in the performance of field inspections and surveys for entomology under the direct supervision of the Agricultural Inspector IV and Entomologist. Incumbents will be required to travel to agricultural production and rangeland areas, across the state of Nevada. Main duties include placing and collecting traps, preparing and labeling specimens, and collection and recording of data electronically using handheld computers and phones. Use of pesticides to treat economic populations may be required. Incumbents may be assigned to assist in other related Plant Industry disease and field surveys as required.
Incumbents possess a degree of knowledge and proficiency sufficient to perform work independently with little or no additional training.
To see full Class Specifications visit: http://hr.nv.gov/Resources/ClassSpecs/Class_Specifications-1_0//
The Examination Application Evaluation Exam
- Graduation from high school or equivalent education and one year of experience in agricultural sciences or related sciences performing agricultural duties; OR one year of experience as an Agricultural Inspector I in Nevada State service; OR an equivalent combination or education and experience as described above.
- The exam will consist of an application and resume evaluation. It is essential that applications/resumes include detailed information with time frames regarding education and experience. The most qualified applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for interview. The hiring agency may require specific skills related testing as part of the interviewing process.
- Flexible and/or rotating shifts are required.
- The ability to travel 50% of time is required.
- This position requires a valid driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility at the time of appointment and for continuing employment.
This recruitment may close at any time based on the number of applications received. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
*The salary range indicated in this announcement is based on the Employee/Employer retirement compensation schedule. An employer-only option is available at a reduced salary range.
The State of Nevada is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, domestic partnership, genetic information (GINA), or compensation and/or wages. Nearest Major Market:
Reno Nearest Secondary Market: