Description Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on December 8, 2021 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
This job classification is the senior, most experienced level in the general office support classification series. It is not an entry level position. Office Specialists
provide complex, technical or specialized clerical services in departments Countywide. They are considered experts in all aspects of the general office support functions. Office Specialists perform difficult clerical tasks; answer questions of all degrees of complexity from lower level office support staff, visitors and telephone callers and, when necessary, direct them to other appropriate individuals; create correspondence, reports and documents using a computer; proofread typed material for accuracy, completeness and correct English usage; enter, edit and retrieve data in automated information systems; prepare reports and records that require arithmetic calculations; research and collect data from several sources; gather material for meetings, prepare agendas and type minutes of meetings; make travel arrangements for others; order office supplies; organize and maintain office files; perform other related office tasks as required; and serve as a back-up for clerical co-workers who are absent from the office.
The ideal candidates
must be able to perform several tasks simultaneously in fast paced and demanding job assignments; produce considerable amounts of correspondence for long periods of time; be detailed, accurate, complete and timely in their work; adapt to frequent interruptions, rapidly changing priorities and different assignments quickly and efficiently; use computers regularly and proficiently; use appropriate initiative, sound judgment and tact to handle sensitive and confidential discussions and interactions with others; relate effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds; handle tension-filled and crisis situations effectively; and work well under stress.NOTE
: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified, and regular classified vacancies.
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform difficult, complex technical and/or specialized office support work, which may require the exercise of independent judgment, the application of technical skills and a knowledge of detailed or specialized activities related to the department to which assigned.
- Research and assemble information from a variety of sources for the completion of forms or the preparation of reports; make arithmetic or statistical calculations.
- Provide information to the public or to County staff that requires the use of judgment and the interpretation of policies, rules or procedures.
- Organize, maintain and purge various departmental files.
- Type correspondence, reports, forms, and specialized documents from drafts, notes, dictated tapes, or brief instructions, using a typewriter, word processor or computer terminal.
- Proofread and check typed and other materials for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with departmental policies and regulations.
- Enter and retrieve data and prepare reports using an on-line or personal computer system; review such reports for accuracy and make corrections as required; operate standard office equipment.
- Oversee and personally perform a variety of office administrative details such as preparing purchase requisitions, arranging for the repair of equipment, transmitting information, and keeping reference materials up to date; may arrange meetings by notifying participants, reserving rooms, making lodging and/or meal arrangements, etc.
- Act as receptionist and receive and screen visitors and telephone calls and direct the caller to the proper person or personally handles the call.
- May train others in work procedures or direct the work of others on a project or relief basis.
- Provide off hours support as required.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications Knowledge of:
- Office administrative practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment.
- Basic business data processing principles and the use of word processing or personal computing equipment.
- Policies and procedures related to the department to which assigned.
- Proper form for typed materials.
- Business arithmetic, including percentages and decimals.
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Record keeping principles and procedures.
- Perform technical, specialized, complex or difficult office support work.
- Organize, prioritize and coordinate work activities.
- Read, interpret and apply rules, policies and procedures.
- Organize, research and maintain office files.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Compose routine correspondence from brief instructions.
- Make arithmetic calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Use initiative and sound independent judgment within established guidelines.
- Operate standard office equipment, including a word processor, personal or on-line computer, and centralized telephone equipment.
Specific positions may require the ability to type at a rate of 40 net words per minute from printed copy. Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
One year of journey-level office support experience.
Application/Examination Open and Promotional. Anyone may apply.
Current County of San Mateo and County of San Mateo Superior Court of California employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five (5) points added to their final passing score on this examination. Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form.This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the County of San Mateo Human Resources Department.
The examination will consist of a standard, multiple-choice Civil Service Computer-Based Written Examination (weight:100%).IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply"
button. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org
Qualified applicants will be notified via email, which will include the link to take the Computer-based Written Exam. Please make sure to read your notices carefully. Applicant requests for alternate test dates will not be granted.
Accommodations for special medical conditions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.~RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE~Recruitment Closes:
ContinuousComputer-based Written Exam:
The County of San Mateo requires that all employees provide proof of COVID-19 vaccine or comply with weekly COVID-19 testing. Employees hired into specified health care facilities and other high-risk settings where there is potential for frequent COVID-19 exposure to staff and highly vulnerable patients are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. For more specific information, please refer to the County's COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Policy
. At the County of San Mateo, we welcome and celebrate the diversity of our employees, and strive to create a workplace where they feel valued every day.
County of San Mateo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HR Contact: Jennifer Reyes (12062021) (Office Specialist - E337)