Salary: $33,923.00 - $56,000.00 Annually USD
General Description: This is a clerical position that performs (1) routine tasks and high level technical work related to the timely and accurate processing of financial operations for the County, Constitutional Offices, Regional Jail, Regional Library and Department of Social Services, and (2) support services in the Accounting, Purchasing and Budget functions. Incumbents' duties may include payroll processing, accounts payable, purchasing, grant processing, and support services assignments that may vary based on the needs of the Department.
Organization: The Financial Technician position is part of Hanover County's Career Development Program (CD). The Financial Technician Ladder has five (5) levels: Financial Technician I, II, III, IV and Senior. The Financial Technician may report to a Financial Supervisor or an Accountant, and supervises no staff.
Essential Functions: duties may vary depending on area of assignment
• Reviews/verifies input sources and posts payroll/accounts payable and/or
procurement related entries.
• Assures accurate calculation of financial input and adjustments such as
• Checks figures to verify accuracy of financial documents.
• Prepares payroll, accounts payable, general ledger and grant balancing
• Prepares wire transfers for accurate transmission.
• Prepares and transmits compensation, purchase order, and/or deduction
information to vendors as needed.
• Prepares and maintains financial, grant and statistical reports and related
documents for financial operations.
• Maintains reconciliation, reporting and payment of VRS retirement, life
insurance and optional life insurance premiums.
• Files quarterly and annual federal and state reporting for tax returns, W-2
and W-9 forms and 1099's.
• Files quarterly state unemployment insurance wage reports.
• Assists with the preparation of checks (void and manual) and other
financial and procurement documents.
• Oversees record retention compliance and storage.
• Provides support services in the areas of general ledger, accounts
receivable, accounts payable, and revenue accounting, financial analysis
and projections, budget, accounting, financial reporting, grants and
• Assists with the preparation of the Department's budget.
• Monitors procurement contracts.
• Provides general office support and customer service.
• Performs related work as assigned.
• None known
C. Physical Effort
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Requires good communication skills, both oral and written. Must be able to work independently and be able to prioritize workload in order to meet sensitive deadlines. Good math skills, required. Computer literacy, preferred.
Education, Experience and Training: High school diploma or equivalent required with training in accounting, payroll, accounts payable, grants processing or purchasing experience preferred - OR - Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable. Higher levels on the Career Ladder require additional education and experience.
• Criminal Records Check, including fingerprinting
• Twelve-month probationary period
• Work beyond normal work schedule, including callback
• Mandatory Participant in the Citizen Emergency Response On-call Plan
Revision Date: February 2013
Closing Date/Time: Continuous