Salary: $205,000 - $238,000 USD
Salary Top: $238,488
Apply By: Jan 03, 2022
The Housing Authority of the City of Oakland (OHA) is seeking a motivated individual with a collaborative spirit who leads by example—illustrating the highest degree of integrity—to join the team as Chief Operating Officer (COO). The next COO must be experienced, organized, a communicative leader and a self-starter. This very important individual will assist the Executive Director with daily execution of goals, objectives, policies and priorities. Possessing strong management and interpersonal skills, the individual selected should have the ability to identify and solve internal and external problems in a fast paced, ever-changing environment. This role is critical to the agency and to the Executive Director. The COO role will be both rewarding and challenging and is open for the right person who is ready to take their career to the next level.
Be a part of this great community and consider joining the Housing Authority of the City of Oakland as the next Chief Operating Officer.
Under the general direction of the Executive Director, responsible for the day-to-day operations for any combination of coreoperating departments; strategizes, plans, organizes, leads and manages the department(s) to ensure that all programactivities operate consistently and ethically in accordance with the mission, vision and values of the OHA, as well asensuring timely, compassionate resident and community relations and neighborhood engagement.
The duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work required. The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist the Executive Director in advancing the implementation and development of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for the Authority.
- Responsible for the execution of Authority operations in support of the Authority’s goals of providing diverse, equitable and inclusive programs and services, and affirmatively furthering fair housing.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the Executive Director informed of all critical issues involving the organization, community, programs and initiatives.
- Consult and advise the Executive Director, the Chief Officer of Programs and Finance (COPFA), legal counsel, and other key members of the leadership team on financial planning, budgeting, business priorities, and policy matters particularly as they relate to the departments assigned.
- Provide executive staffing of Authority Board of Commissioners and non-profit affiliate boards as assigned.
- Provide leadership and focus to the COO team based on mission, OHA goals and HUD requirements.
- Assist in developing and driving the Authority’s strategy/mission/culture vision from the leadership to the staff level.
- Coordinate and facilitate the assigned program area departments into a cohesive and seamless program.
- Provide programmatic leadership and input for all strategic planning processes with the Executive Director,COPFA, Chief of the Oakland Housing Authority Police Department and other staff.
- Monitor and evaluate department performance and provide guidance and leadership to management on key planning issues.
- With the assistance of the COPFA, ensures the continued financial viability of the Authority’s program/service through sound fiscal management.
- Develop, coordinate and manage key deliverables and milestones within predetermined timelines.
- Ensure compliance with the HUD and non-HUD programs utilizing quality control and quality assurance best practices for file, program and funding monitoring and oversight.
- Participate in real estate management, acquisition and related activities in support of the Authority’sstrategic affordable housing preservation and expansion goals.
- Represent the Authority with external stakeholders and constituency groups, including community, governmental, and private organizations.
- Supervise and lead department directors and/or staff as assigned and make appropriate recommendations onpersonnel/departmental issues.
- Plan and execute conflict resolution strategies proactively and where needed internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Political Science, Finance, Urban Planning, Economics, PublicAdministration or a related field is
- Seven (7) years industry experience with five (5) years at an executive level in housing, communitydevelopment, real estate or related industry.
- Must possess a valid California License and have and maintain an insurable driving
Equivalent combinations of education, training and experience will be considered.
- Knowledge of: HUD rules and regulations, including significant experience in the management of Public Housing (ACC) programs, Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) programs, Capital Funds and resident andcommunity services (FSS, ROSS, ). Must demonstrate in-depth knowledge of affordable housing, systems planning, community development, working within a union environment, public sector regulations and private sector property management practices. Working knowledge of the Moving to Work Program is desired.
- Ability to: Direct and provide oversight of core housing operations; assimilate and synthesize information rapidly, and manage multiple projects successfully; leadership as well as operational management ability; identify the best strategies for improving overall efficiency; establish operational goals, cross-departmental projects and objectives in support of the Authority’s mission, priorities, and strategic initiatives; make sound decisions on resource allocations to ensure the financial integrity and viability of the Authority’s budget; establish positive cross-departmental processes, and positive relationships within the Authority, the community and among external partners; supervise, train and evaluate staff to ensure a high level of work performance and productivity; effectively negotiate and administer construction, HAP and other contracts, MOUs/MOAs, cooperative agreements, , as needed; increase the efficiency and responsiveness of operations, and improve core operational processes; develop and modify procedures as appropriate; maintain strong community contacts with the public and private sectors; set realistic operational and performance short and long-term goals; ensure the delivery of quality customer service to residents, other clients and the public at large; think analytically; assist in maintaining strong positive relationships with state and federal agencies and community partners and stakeholders.
How to Apply
This recruitment is being handled by the Municipal Resource Group - MRG Consulting. Please send your resume and cover letter to Apply@Solutions-MRG.com. Please identify your submission in the email subject line as: OHA COO. Contact Cathy Thompson, MRG Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org or (562) 826-3044 with any questions. Please note: This opportunity is OPEN UNTIL FILLED with first review of application materials on January 3, 2022. This opportunity may close at any time, please apply immediately.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.
SALARY AND BENEFITS INFORMATION:
The annual salary range for Chief Operating Officer for the Housing Authority of the City of Oakland is $205,000 to $238,488.Starting salary is dependent on qualifications and experience.
The Housing Authority of the City of Oakland offers health insurance coverage through the CalPERS health benefits program, Aetna dental and Blue Shield/ MES vision insurance plans. Coverage is available within each plan for both employees andemployees’ dependents.
- Choice of medical plans (Generous employer contribution)
- Paid Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Dental Coverage
- Life Insurance
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- CalPERS Retirement Plan (Individual determination varies for Safety and General)
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Roth 457Plan
- Roth IRA Plan
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Benefits: Commuter, Dependent Care and Medical Spending Accounts
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Reimbursement for moving expenses up to $15,000 if relocating more than 50 miles