Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under direction, plans, organizes, supervises and directs a specialized area within the City's recreation division, or a specialized type of recreation activity at a community recreation center or other recreation venue including outdoor events, and performs related work as required. Assignment Location:
Evelyn K. Davis, MLK, Drake, or Weeks. Application Process :
Applicants deemed most qualified based on qualifications may be contacted for an interview. If you are submitting an application December - February, please know that it may be approximately 10-15 business days before you receive a response. If you are submitting an application March - July, please know that it may be approximately 5-10 business days before you receive a response.
Application Deadline :
Applications are accepted until such time a sufficient number of qualified applications is received to fill the positions. Approximate employment duration :
Up to 40 hours per week April through October including weekends and holidays. Note :
Hiring preference is given to applicants who held the position with the City of Des Moines during last summer's employment season. Acceptable Experience and Training
Required Special Qualifications
- Graduation from high school or GED; and
- One year of experience facilitating recreational or group activities in areas such as aquatics, athletics, music, arts, childcare, or education.
- Post-high school education in recreation, leisure services, education or related field may be substituted for the required experience.
- If substituting education for years of experience, transcripts need to be submitted to the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department; electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org , by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail to 1551 E MLK Jr Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50317 at the time of application.
- Current certification in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), First Aid, and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) required upon hire (training is provided); and
- An applicable, valid driver's license is required when work assignment requires driving a vehicle.
- Possession of a valid driver's license is required for this assignment.
- If possess an out-of-state Driver's License, submittal of driving records is required. Please submit to the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department; electronically to email@example.com , by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail to 1551 E MLK Jr Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50317 at the time of application.
Requires satisfactory criminal, sex offender and driving record background checks.Passing a pre-employment physical and drug screen is required prior to employment. Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Leads programs and instructs participants on facility or program rules.
- Trains staff in leadership techniques, methods of activity planning, safety and public relations.
- Works closely with other recreation staff to assure the proper development of assigned activities.
- Works with community organizations and public to develop their interests in recreation programs.
- Organizes and supervises one or more recreational activities such as year-round programs, aquatics programs, day camps, trips, arts and cultural activities, nature activities, sports and games, special population activities, equity programs, senior activities or special events.
- Recruits and trains volunteers to assist with program implementation.
- Maintains discipline and observes necessary precautions to ensure safety of activity and program participants.
- Issues and monitors use of recreation supplies and equipment.
- Maintains attendance and activity statistics and creates and updates regular reports.
- Collects admissions and program registration fees.
- Decorates center or venue with seasonal displays.
- Researches and orders recreation supplies and equipment.
- Performs minor custodial functions such as sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, etc. to maintain clean and safe activity space.
- May drive a vehicle for transportation of program/activity participants.
- Performs related work as required.
Closing Date/Time: 7/12/2022 4:00 PM Central