The City of Fort Lauderdale employees possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
An employee in this class serves as the Assistant Swim Coach and assist in managing the USA Swimming and/or US Masters Swimming club team programs under the direction of the Head Swim Coach. Duties include, but are not limited to, stroke development, seasonal planning, and daily workouts. Work is normally performed under the general supervision of a higher classified employee who issues written and oral instructions. Work is reviewed by the immediate supervisor; constant supervision is not necessary for routine and repetitive tasks. NOTE: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ensures the safety of swim team members, performing lifesaving and/or first aid and/or CPR procedures when required
- Conduct swim team workouts and provide instruction to swim team members; enhance the swimming skills and development of all team members; ensure team member adherence to and understanding of safe, competitive and swimming training practices
- Attends regular swimming competitions and official team activities as well as promotion of competitive swimming program goals and objectives
- May assist and support all team-related events, activities, parties, fund raisers etc.
- May perform various clerical duties in support of the swim team such as responding to parents' and swimmers' questions and emails, drafting memos, creating workouts, taking attendance and assisting with meet entries as needed
- May operate a variety of pool, office, and coaching equipment including a copier, personal computer, along with corresponding program software, as well as proficiency in Hytek's Team Manager and Team Unify software
- May maintain routine records related to swimming accidents, incidents and assigned activities
- May set up the facility and equipment, and store the equipment upon completion of scheduled workouts, and or swim meets
- May work with the head coach and other assistant coaching staff members with developing and administering appropriate training plans for all swimmers participating in the competitive swim program
- May evaluate athletes periodically and make recommendations for progression through the program
- May work weekends, nights and holidays
- Perform related work as required.
PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Must be 18 years old or older
- At least 4 years of competitive swimming experience at the USA Swimming, high school or collegiate level.
- At least 1 year of working with, coaching, teaching or monitoring youth at the age-group swimming level.
- Current USA Swimming coaching certification, which includes Athlete Protection Training certification, clearing a required background check and USA Swimming Coaches Safety Training certification
- Certified ASCA Level I Coach or higher
- All required certifications, whether possessed at time of application or obtained after appointment, must be kept current to continue employment.
- Candidates must pass a fingerprinting/background screening process prior to employment
The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderately loud. The work entails sedentary work in an office setting. While performing duties, employee is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, talk, hear, reach above and below shoulders, and use hand and fingers dexterity keyboarding. The employee may be required on rare occasions to lift up to 50 pounds. May require working in adverse weather conditions such as heat and humidity
Sometimes work is stressful when working under stringent time constraints. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Closing Date/Time: 1/9/2023 12:00 AM Eastern