Salary: $36,545.60 - $50,252.80 Annually USD
WANT TO BE PART OF A TEAM THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE IN THE COMMUNITY? APPLY TODAY TO GET STARTED! IMMEDIATE VACANCIES AVAILABLE!
The Preschool Services Department (PSD) is recruiting for General Maintenance Workers who assist in the maintenance, construction, cleaning and repairs of PSD buildings and structures. Duties include: plumbing, carpentry, glass work, and painting; repair of pumps and air conditioning systems; building forms and frames; installing and finishing concrete; cleaning, repairing, and maintaining tools and mechanical equipment; installing lights and switches; operating forklift and pallet jack equipment; grounds maintenance and landscaping; and floor and carpet installation and maintenance.
The eligible list established may be used to fill current and future vacancies throughout the County as they occur.
For more detailed information, view the PSD General Maintenance Worker job description.
For more information about PSD benefits, see links for: PSD 9 Month Contract or PSD 12 Month Contract .
Click here to view the Preschool Services Department Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
1) Effective January 31, 2022, the Office of Head Start (OHS), Administration for Children and Families (ACF), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Interim Final Rule requires that all existing staff and new hires complete a vaccination series against COVID 19 as follows: have their second dose in a two-dose vaccination series, or first dose in a single-dose vaccination by January 31, 2022. New hires may request an exemption from the vaccination requirements under the following: (1) the new hire is declining vaccination based on Religious Beliefs, or (2) the new hire is excused from receiving any COVID-19 vaccine due to Qualifying Medical Reasons. Valid exemptions must be submitted before the start of employment. New hires who have an approved exemption will be subject to weekly testing and must wear a face covering while on site.
2) Must be able to reach, lift, and move heavy objects weighing up to 75 pounds, including cement bags, plywood, sheet rock, and other building supplies either manually or with the aid of lifting devices. Incumbents must also be able to work in confined spaces or outdoor areas, climb ladders, and work on roofs; may occasionally be exposed to hazardous chemicals, infectious materials, and radiation.
3) Travel throughout the County is required. A valid California Class C driver license and verification of a clean driving record (DMV printout) is required at time of appointment.
4) Must pass a pre-employment physical including a tuberculosis test and required immunizations (SB792).
5) Incumbents may occasionally be required to work overtime, including evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
Job offers are contingent upon passing a background investigation which includes a fingerprint check and search of the Child Abuse Index before appointment. If an individual has been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation, the individual cannot work or be present in any community care facility unless they request and subsequently obtain a criminal record exemption from the Community Care Licensing Division, Caregiver Background Check Bureau (CBCB). With the exception of minor traffic violations, all convictions, including misdemeanors, felonies, and convictions occurring a long time ago, require an exemption. CBCB also examines arrest records to determine if there is a possible danger to clients. Crimes against children and convictions of a violent nature, such as sex offenses, murder, manslaughter, arson, and robbery are crimes for which an exemption cannot be issued. (Health & Safety Code section 1596.871)
Experience : Eighteen (18) months of full-time equivalent skilled or semi-skilled work experience in the maintenance and repair of buildings in at least one of the following trades: electrical, carpentry, plumbing, or air conditioning.
(This experience must be clearly demonstrated in the Work Experience section of the Application and supplemental questionnaire.)
The ideal candidate will have experience as a skilled laborer in a variety of the building trades and have experience working in a school environment.
Examination Procedure :
There will be a competitive evaluation of qualifications based on a review of the Application and Supplemental Questionnaire; therefore it is to your advantage to provide as much relevant and detailed work experience as possible , as resumes will not be reviewed in lieu of the application materials.
Application Procedure :
Complete and submit the online employment application and supplemental questionnaire as soon as possible as this recruitment may close at any time.
To ensure timely and successful submission of your online application, please allow ample time to complete and submit your application before the posted filing deadline. Applicants will be automatically logged-out if they have not submitted the application and all required materials prior to the posted deadline. Once your application has been successfully submitted, you will receive an onscreen confirmation and an email. We recommend that you save and/or print these for your records. Please note, if you do not receive an onscreen confirmation and an email acknowledging our receipt of your application, we have not received your application.
If you require technical assistance, please click HERE to review the Government Jobs online application guide , or contact their Toll-Free Applicant Support line at (855) 524-5627. Please note that Human Resources is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by the internet connection, computer or browser used to submit the application.
EEO/ADA: San Bernardino County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant employer, committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants.
ADA Accommodation: If you have a disability and require accommodations in the testing process, submit the Special Testing Accommodations Request Form within one week of a recruitment filing deadline.
Veterans' Preference: Eligible veterans and their spouse or widow(er) who are not current County employees may be awarded additional Veterans' Preference points. Click here for information and instructions to request Veteran's Preference points.
NOTE: There is a six (6) month waiting period to re-apply for the same job classification (title and level).
For important information on employment processes and submitting job applications, see links below: Guide to Completing a County Job Application
Applicant Information and the County Employment Process
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
San Bernardino, California