Introduction ***As of Sunday, 6/19/2022, the salary range will increase to $13.91/hour to $20.23/hour***
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale
.About The Position
Recreation Leaders I assist with a variety of recreation programs such as arts and crafts, drama and acting, dance, music, games, sports and other activities. Work schedules typically require some evenings, weekends and holidays.
Multiple assignments will be filled at recreation facilities throughout the City. Assignments are part-time and may be temporary or on-going. Please note: These positions have limited benefits, as required by law
. Part-time positions are unclassified, at-will and serve at the discretion of City
Recreation Leader I is an entry-level job classification. The starting rate of pay for new employees is $13.25 per hour; additional compensation may be applied dependent upon years of experience.Interviews will be conducted periodically throughout the recruitment period based on the needs of the City.
To apply, please complete the City's on-line application and supplemental questionnaire.
For information about park locations and the programs offered, click here
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Drug Screening
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements:
- No experience necessary.
- Preferred: Customer service experience.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/section assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Plans and conducts recreational activities at the direction of Recreation Leader II's.
- Organizes games for children of all ages and adults at a recreation facility.
- Sets up and breaks down classrooms for classes, meetings, and reservation groups.
- Participates in planning, conducting, and evaluating: events, projects, and programs.
- Roves/maintains security & safety of facilities throughout the shift.
- Performs cashier duties during scheduled shift, which includes: greeting customers, answering the phone, handling customer inquiries, accepting payment of fees, handling cash according to City policy and procedures, issuing passes, and completing all necessary reporting and record keeping documentation.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Click here to review the entire job description. The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
- Lifts, carries, and sets up: tables, chairs, sound and lighting equipment, craft and art materials, recreation equipment, and other equipment (weighing 20-50 pounds).
- Physically move around in all areas of the park over rough, uneven terrain.
- Lift and carry materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Works days, evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous