Description: Working Title
Windows Systems Administrator SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing email@example.com.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. Department
Information Technology Services/System Services Appointment Type
This is a one year probationary position. Time Base
Full-Time (1.0) Work Schedule
Monday through Friday; from 8:00am to 5:00pm Anticipated Hiring Range
$7,500.00 - $8.334.00 ($90,00.00 - $100,008.00 Annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience. Position Summary
The incumbent, reporting to the Senior Director of Cloud and Systems Services and working under the directions and in close collaboration with the Windows Infrastructure Lead, serves as the career-level hands-on administrator for the private (VMware) and emerging public cloud infrastructure technologies. Incumbent's responsibilities encompass all phases of the services lifecycle from design to implementation and ongoing operations and support, and cover all of the IaaS/PaaS related compute/storage/network/security/automation areas. Position Information
Provide Windows systems administration including system installation, performance tuning, security tasks, user administration and problem troubleshooting for on-prem Windows infrastructure, and Windows applications
- Support and maintain the campus enterprise Active Directory
- Support file-sharing services such as Departmental Shares
- Provide guidance and assistance to campus IT for use and adoption of the campus Active Directory and file sharing services
- Install, configure and maintain as necessary application software, such as MS SQL databases, web servers, file servers and others
- Provide incident response and problem resolution to maintain high uptime of the infrastructure and services
- Ensure the security, functionality, reliability, and performance of the infrastructure and enterprise-wide applications and systems
- Ensure system backup and restore functions
- Work within VMware vSphere infrastructure to provision Windows VMs
Provide support for Microsoft Azure and Office 365 cloud technology stacks and other cloud services
- Support Azure Active Directory, identify integrations and license management
- Support Exchange Online, email integrations, mail flow troubleshooting and ensure email security hygiene
- Support OneDrive
- Support Box file-sharing and collaboration service
- Support backend administration for other Azure suite technologies, such as but not limited to: Defender ATP, InTune, MS teams and others
- Support emerging Azure IaaS
- Ensure security and compliance of the supported cloud services
- Ensure detailed documentation
Support and streamline processes
- Provide detailed documentation for systems/application programs and procedures
- Assist with processes automation
- Support system monitoring for Windows and cloud Microsoft services
- Work on process improvements
Other duties as assigned Minimum Qualifications
To enter this classification, a basic foundation of knowledge and skills in operating systems programs, maintenance, and systems administration features is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree, preferably in computer science, mathematics, or a related technical field, or equivalent technical training and/or experience. Foundation knowledge and skills for the Operating Systems Analyst include a working knowledge of the assigned computer operating systems, systems analysis, and systems-level programming.
Incumbents at the expert level work almost completely independently on the most complex problems and work assignments. They possess an advanced and comprehensive knowledge of the technical specialty and a working knowledge of related specialties and are able to apply this extensive expertise as a generalist or specialist. Experts are proactive and understand problems from broad, interactive perspective and are able to develop solutions that combine information and ideas in new, unprecedented ways. Incumbents at this level are capable of leading teams and implementation efforts for assigned projects using advanced communication and listening skills. Preferred Qualifications Education:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, or closely related fields. MCSE/MCSA certification and five (5) or more years of direct Windows server administration experience can be considered in lieu of the degree. Work Experience:
Minimum three (3) years of hands-on Windows server and Active Directory systems administration in a medium or large size environment.
Minimum 1 year supporting Microsoft Azure Active Directory
Minimum 1 year supporting Exchange on-prem or Exchange Online (Office 365) Technical skills and expertise:
- Strong working knowledge of Windows Server operating system and support of its full life cycle, from deployment to security hardening, to patching, upgrades, backup/recovery, system diagnostics and performance tuning
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Active Directory in an enterprise environment, from efficient organization structures to GPO's
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft file sharing best practices- NTFS and CIFS
- Good understanding and hands on experience with Microsoft Azure Active Directory and Office 365 suite of products
- Comfortable with scripting (PowerShell preferred) and able to use it for automation
- Solid understanding of the basic networking concepts and protocols such as TCP/IP, firewalls, VLAN, VPN, DNS, DHCP, LDAP, SSL/TLS
- Working knowledge of systems, network and applications security; familiarity with best practices of securing systems and data
- Eager to learn new things and take on new challenges
- Desire to automate all mundane repetitive tasks
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
Nice to have certifications and specialized technical experience:
- Passion to understand, learn, and dissect new technologies quickly on your own.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve multi-faceted technology problems.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team and lead when needed
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain positive demeanor.
- MCSE certification
- Experience with Clustering and High Availability solutions and technologies
- Experience with security vulnerability scanning and management
- Familiarity with Change Management and ITIL
- Experience and familiarity with Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- Experience with Azure IaaS
Some work outside of business hours would be required to provide systems maintenance. The incumbent will be required to be available by cell phone and may be called after work hours to response to critical service outages. Pre-Employment Requirements
This position requires the successful completion of a background check. Eligibility to Work
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire. Benefits
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employee. Employment Requirement
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
. CSUEU Position
Eligible and qualified on-campus applicants, currently in bargaining units 2, 5, 7, and 9 are given hiring preference. Additional Information SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Please note that this position, position requirements, application deadline and/or any other component of this position is subject to change or cancellation at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled