Position Scope ***RECRUITMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
The City of Buckeye is seeking a Senior Civil Engineer with experience in all aspects of water and wastewater utility service.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are not intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by an employee in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional position-specific duties.
- Reviews detailed plans, specifications, and estimates for various projects for conformance to City policy and applicable codes and ordinances.
- Provides input on development of scope of work for departmental projects.
- Makes technical reviews and provides recommendations regarding designs prepared by consulting engineers and architects.
- Makes recommendations regarding infrastructure needs and utility policies and procedures.
- Oversees the department's GIS system and staff.
- Provides technical engineering/operational analysis of proposed projects; evaluates need for design changes and makes recommendations.
- Participate in the conceptualization, review and approval of private development engineering plans relative to infrastructure.
- Provides operational review of plans for compliance to ADEQ regulations and operational considerations.
- Demonstrates superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscal responsibility.
- Represents the Department on various internal and external technical committees.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Assists with strategic planning for utility improvements and the development of the Capital Improvement Plan.
- Researches, compiles, and presents technical engineering reports to various state agencies.
- Evaluates system performance to identify potential improvements, identifies and recommends procedural or policy changes to optimize water and wastewater system operation, reduce energy and chemical usage, and other operating and maintenance costs.
- Performs asset management related activities including condition assessments, reports and budget input.
- Coordinates and manages system water and wastewater master planning efforts.
- Works with management on various development projects.
- Recommends, develops, implements, and maintains various tracking systems for development and operations projects and processes.
- Serves as a technical resource to management and operations staff.
Minimum Qualifications & Position Requirements MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education and Experience:
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Civil or Environmental Engineering or related field and five (5) years of professional experience, preferably in water and wastewater utility industry; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Arizona Department of Environmental Quality operator certifications are preferred. Necessary Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- Engineering principles, practices, analysis and regulations as applied to the specific areas of water, wastewater, reclamation, and reuse project design, review, and field engineering.
- Local, county, state, and federal laws and regulations relating to construction activities, the environment, and various City programs.
- Design and operation of groundwater wells and water treatment plants.
- Design and operation of water distribution and sewer collection systems.
- Design and operation of wastewater treatment and reclaimed water facilities.
Skill and Ability to:
- Apply civil engineering principles, methods, and techniques to theoretical and practical problems with versatility, judgment, and perception.
- Organize, analyze, interpret, and evaluate scientific problems and provide practical, cost effective solutions.
- Keep abreast of changes in scientific knowledge and engineering technology in order to utilize such changes in solution of theoretical or practical civil engineering problems.
- Produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts using proper English sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar.
- Communicate orally with other City employees, contractors, governmental groups or the public in face-to-face one-on-one settings, or using a telephone.
- Use a personal computer and applications such as MSWord, Excel, Powerpoint, and GIS in performing duties.
- Make engineering computations and check, design and prepare engineering plans, studies, profiles and maps.
- Deal effectively with developers, builders, engineers, architects, and the general public.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff, public officials, outside public agencies, and the public.
- Compile and analyze technical data.
- Exercise sound judgment in decision making.
Additional Information Special Requirements:
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
- Must be registered in the State of Arizona as a Professional Engineer within one year of hire.
- Possession of a valid Arizona driver's license.
Work is performed in an office setting and outdoors in inclement weather at public facilities.
Requires vision (which may be corrected) to read small print.
Required to attend periodic evening meetings and/or to travel within and out of City boundaries to attend meetings. Report To:
Water Resources Director or DesigneeSupervision Exercised:
Employee Benefits & Wellness
The City offers a comprehensive benefits package to full-time classified and management employees. Part-time classified employees may be eligible for select benefits where defined.
For complete Benefit Plan & Wellness Information, please visit the City website at:
Benefits & Wellness
City benefit plans are subject to change at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous