APPLICATION FILING PERIOD:
February 14, 2022 at 8:00 A.M. (PT)
This exam will remain open until the needs of the Department are met and is subject to close without prior notice. EXAM NUMBER:
34597G TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITYSPECIAL SALARY INFORMATION:
This position is subject to the provisions of the Management Appraisal and Performance Plan (MAPP). Initial salary placement and subsequent salary adjustments will be made in accordance with the MAPP guidelines and regulations.DEFINITION:
Has overall administrative responsibility for the supervision of employees engaged in planning, analyzing, coordinating, developing and implementing policies and procedures for County-wide emergency medical and disaster services program.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class are distinguished by having responsibility for assisting the Emergency Medical Systems Manager or a Battalion Chief or other higher management position in the Fire Department in directing the development, coordination and evaluation of the County-wide emergency medical system. This system is a coordinated composite of the sub-elements of medical care, paramedic services and training, emergency medical training, communications, emergency medical transportation, public education and information, and disaster services.
Essential Job Functions
- Oversees the coordination, development, and approval of emergency medical technician, paramedic and mobile intensive care nurse training, testing, and certifications.
- Develops prehospital care guidelines and standards according to the regulations of state and local EMS agencies and in conjunction with specialized medical associations such as American Heart Association.
- Oversees the medical monitoring of department-wide prehospital care system including policy development, training needs, quality improvement activities, equipment, and skills testing.
- Acts as a liaison with paramedic provider agencies, paramedic base hospitals, and other prehospital care professionals.
- Consults with departmental, federal, state, local governments, and provider agencies to ensure the delivery of quality prehospital care.
- Manages administrative functions such as internal audits of programs, budgetary preparation, and analysis of organizational structure for the EMS Program.
- Acts as a liaison relating to department participation in public education functions such as health fairs, community programs, and primary and secondary school programs; distributes EMS related audio-visual materials and bilingual educational materials to community groups and other public agencies.
- Leads a group of senior nurse instructors in the development of quality improvement indicators and educational modules designed to achieve predetermined objectives.
- Conducts formal classroom and clinical instruction in EMS policies and procedures.
- Serves as a member or a leader of internal and external committees related to EMS.
- Prepares compliance reports, annual summaries, trending and analysis reports, and memorandums; maintains and manages various internal databases.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS: OPTION I:
Four years of responsible administrative* or staff experience analyzing and making recommendations for the solution of problems of organization, programs, budget, or curriculum, one year of which must have been in an emergency medical services program specializing in education and/or quality management.
*Administrative Experience is defined as experience at the level of independent responsibility for assignments of average difficulty analyzing and making recommendations for the solution of problems of organization, budget, personnel, information services, programs, facilities planning, materials management, and general management. Responsible Staff Experience is defined as experience at the journey-level requiring working knowledge of rules, regulations, and other guidelines to program area assigned.OPTION II:
Two years of experience as a registered nurse responsible for planning and designing educational programs and quality improvement indicators and methods, designed to monitor and measure the implementation and maintenance of quality improvement standards -AND-
a license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.** License:
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS**:
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an Accredited college*** in a specific field
- Verifiable experience as an instructor for at least two years in one of the following areas:
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) or American Red Cross Basic Life Support (BLS)
- American Heart Association Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) or American Red Cross Advanced Life Support (ALS)
- American Heart Association Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) or American Red Cross Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Prehospital Care Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) or Trauma Nursing Core Course (TNCC)
- Upper division credit in educational materials and methods and curriculum development
- Adult teaching methodology certification
- Supervisory experience
- Pre-hospital care experience
- Emergency department setting experience
**In order to receive credit for any certificate(s), license(s), or college or university degree, such as a Bachelor's degree or higher, you must include a legible copy of the certificate(s), license(s), or either the Official Degree, Official Transcript(s)****, or Official Letter from the accredited institution (which shows the area of specialization and the date the degree was awarded) with the Registrar's signature and school seal at the time of filing or within fifteen (15) calendar days of submitting an online application.
If you are unable to attach your documents, you may e-mail them to Fire-Examination@fire.lacounty.gov
or fax them to (323) 264-7159. Failure to provide any required documentation will result in application rejection . Please include your Name, Exam Number, and the Exam Title on the submitted documents. **Note
: Applicants for this position must
provide this information at the time of filing or within fifteen (15) calendar days
of filing your application online.
***Accreditation: Accredited institutions are those listed in the publications of regional, national or international accrediting agencies which are accepted by the Department of Human Resources. Publications such as American Universities and Colleges and International Handbook of Universities are acceptable references. Also acceptable, if appropriate, are degrees that have been evaluated and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from United States accredited institutions by an academic credential evaluation agency recognized by The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or the Association of International Credential Evaluator s, Inc. (AICE ) . ****Note:
"Official Transcript" is defined as a transcript that bears the college seal and states "official and/or copy" issued by the school's Registrar Office. A printout of the transcript from the school's website is NOT
considered official and therefore, will not
be accepted and will result in your application being incomplete and rejected. PHYSICAL CLASS:2
- Light - Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.
This exam will consist of TWO (2)
An evaluation of Training and Experience, weighted 30%
, assessing education, certification(s), knowledge and understanding of emergency medical service principles, and experience in pre-hospital care, emergency settings, and staff development.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher in Part I in order to advance to Part II.PART II:
A multiple choice and/or simulation assessment(s), weighted 70%
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on each weighted part in order to be placed on the eligible register. MULTIPLE CHOICE TESTS ARE NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19
- Deductive Reasoning
- Leading and Supervising
- Deciding and Initiating Action
- Adhering to Principles
- Delivering Results
- Relating and Networking
- Achieving Work Goals
- Entrepreneurial Thinking
- Persuading and Influencing
- Adapting and Responding to Change
- Coping with Pressure and Setbacks
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
Candidates are responsible for providing a valid e-mail address on their County of Los Angeles Department of Human Resources profile and application. This e-mail address must be able to receive e-mail notifications from fire.lacounty.gov. Candidates must review their inbox and junk/spam mail to verify if e-mail notification was received.
All notifications including invitation letters will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that you provide a valid email address. Test scores cannot be given over the phone. Please add email@example.com
, firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , and firstname.lastname@example.org
to your email address and list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as spam/junk/clutter mail.
Los Angeles County will not consider claims of not viewing or receiving notification to be a valid reason for late test administration or rescheduling of a test component. TRANSFER OF TEST COMPONENTS :
TEST PREPARATION :
- Applicants who have taken identical components recently for other exams may have their scores automatically transferred to this examination.
- This examination contains test components that may be used in the future for new examinations and your test scores may be transferred.
Study guides and other test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for employment tests. While the guides will help you preparing for the test, we advise you to review all related materials that you deem necessary.
ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION :
- An interactive, Online Test Preparation System for taking practice tests may be accessed on the Department of Human Resources website at http://hr.lacounty.gov/. Please click on "Find A Job" and then "Job Search Toolkit." Test preparation information is located under the "Employment Test Assistance" section.
- Additional online practice tests are available at https://www.shldirect.com/en-us/practice-tests / .
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months
following the date of promulgation .
Applications will be processed on an as-received basis and promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS. SPECIAL INFORMATION :
All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The register list resulting from this examination will be used to fill Senior Emergency Medical Systems Program Head vacancies in the County of Los Angeles Fire Department as they occur. AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Any Shift- Appointees must be willing to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
HOW TO APPLY :
Applications must be submitted online only. We must receive your application from 02/14/2022 at 8:00 a.m. (PT) and will remain open until the needs of the Department are met and is subject to close without prior notice. Applications submitted by U.S. Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
Applicants must submit all documents to be considered (official diplomas, official transcripts, certificates, etc.) during application submission. All documents must be clear and legible. Although resumes may be uploaded as attachments to the online application, resumes cannot be accepted in lieu of completing the online application. If you are unable to attach the required document(s), you may e-mail them to Fire-Examination@fire.lacounty.gov
or fax the documents to (213) 264-7159 , at the time of filing or within fifteen (15) calendar days of submitting your online application. Failure to provide the required documentation will result in application rejection . Please include your Name, the Exam Number, and the Exam Title on the faxed documents.
Plan to submit your online application well in advance of the deadline as you may be required to verify your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty, you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address.
Please make sure you put in the time and effort when filling out your application and supplemental questions completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Selection Requirements to Qualify as listed on this bulletin. Provide any relevant job experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
Please note that all information included in the application materials is subject to verification at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made. Falsification information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
Utilizing verbiage from Class Specification and minimum requirements serving as your description of duties will not be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an incomplete application and you may be disqualified. TESTING ACCOMMODATION :
If you require an accommodation to fairly compete in any part of the assessment process, let us know by contacting the Testing Accommodations Coordinator at Fire-Examination@fire.lacounty.gov
. You will be required to complete the Request for Reasonable Accommodation form
as well as provide supporting documentation from a qualified professional justifying the requested accommodation(s). The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can respond to your request and keep you moving through the process. FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE :
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. ANTI-RACISM, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION (ARDI)
The County of Los Angeles recognizes and affirms that all people are created equal and are entitled to all rights afforded by the Constitution of the United States. The Department of Human Resources is committed to promoting Anti-racism, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts to address the inequalities and disparities amongst race. We support the ARDI Strategic Plan and its goals by improving equality, diversity, and inclusion in recruitment, selection, and employment practices. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING ONLINE FILING : SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER :
It is important that you provide your own Social Security Number (SSN) at the time of filing to ensure your application is processed accurately. Please include your SSN for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a SSN. COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES :
For applicants who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on a computers at public libraries throughout the County of Los Angeles.
LA County Public Library has announced they have reopened some libraries with limited hours and may require prior reservation to use their computers. Please visit the following link at https://lacountylibrary.org/reopening/
for more information. NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD :
If you do not already have an account/profile with the County of Los Angeles, you will need to create one. All applicants must file their application online using their OWN
user ID and password. Using someone else's user ID and password will erase the original application record. Testing Accommodation Coordinator : (213) 466-5500 Teletype Phone:
(800) 735-2922 California Relay Services Phone : (800) 735-2922 Department Contact Name:
Fire Examination Section Department Contact Phone : (213) 466-5500 Department Contact Email: Fire-Examination@fire.lacounty.govDepartment Contact FAX
: (213) 264-7159
Closing Date/Time: Continuous