WILDFIRE/DEFENSIBLE SPACE INSPECTORS
San Rafael Fire Department
$29.83 per hour
Full-Time/Temporary - No benefits available with this position
(May not exceed 1,000 hours worked in a fiscal year)
Successful candidates MUST be fully updated prior to appointment. Proof of COVID vaccination and booster is a condition of initial and continued employment with the City of San Rafael
APPLICATION DEADLINE : Applications reviewed weekly until positions filled
The City of San Rafael Fire Department is seeking to fill Seasonal Wildfire/Defensible Space Inspector positions (multiple positions available). The shifts for these positions will vary and are based on the assignments. Shifts will average 8-10 hours per day/4-5 days per week. These are temporary/seasonal positions and will receive NO City-paid benefits. Maximum hours worked per fiscal year not to exceed 1,000 hours.
Under supervision, Seasonal Wildfire/Defensible Space Inspectors perform a wide variety of fire prevention duties. This is a great opportunity to gain hands-on experience working for one of the finest fire departments in the state. These are temporary positions for staffing during the peak wildland fire season (3-6 months).
This position performs the following essential job duties (including but not limited to):
- Perform defensible space inspections in accordance with San Rafael Municipal Code 4.12.
- Performs WUI and other Vegetation Hazard inspections.
- Investigates public and referred public agency complaints.
- Increase awareness, knowledge and actions implemented by individuals and communities to reduce human loss and property damage from wildfires, such as defensible space and other fuels reduction activities, fire prevention and fire safe building standards.
- Reviews, evaluates, processes, and maintains a variety of files related to fire prevention activities.
- Attends on occasion a variety of continuing education classes, seminars, and/or meetings; remain current on applicable codes, regulations, policies, and procedures.
Our Highly Qualified Candidate will be able to work effectively in small teams or independently for extended period of time. They will also be able to read and interpret complex technical documents such as maps, diagrams, and textbooks; as well as perform basic mathematical calculations. We are looking for people who have sound judgment and can communicate effectively with others. They will need to be able to follow both verbal and written instructions, engage effectively with the pubic, and work harmoniously with our team.
To be eligible for this position you must have knowledge of:
- Principles, practices, and techniques of fire prevention.
- Fire prevention codes, regulations; knowledge of National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards.
- Understanding and the ability to utilize the City Municipal Code.
- Principles and techniques of fire inspection work is desirable.
- English, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, letter and report writing.
- City's computer hardware and software programs. Windows, Microsoft Office, Apple products such as iPhones and iPads. Emergency Reporting Systems, ArcGIS Collector App.
To be eligible for this position you must possess the ability to:
- Independently conduct fire (defensible space) inspections.
- Apply technical knowledge and follow proper inspection techniques.
- Be self-motivated, work independently to complete assigned duties and responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Interpret and explain fire prevention services, policies and procedures.
- Stay abreast of fire prevention codes, requirements and standards.
- Work effectively with the public and representatives of other City departments and agencies.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with stake holders to ensure that assigned fire prevention coordination efforts are successful.
We recognize your time is valuable, so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- In accordance with State legal requirements, applicant must be at least 18 years old by the application filing deadline.
- Completion of twelfth (12th) grade and any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities in qualifying.
- Must possess and maintain a Valid California Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record.
- Possession of one or more of the following is desirable:
A background in customer service or public service
Completion of CA State Fire Marshal 1A, 1B, 1D, 2B and 2C courses
ICC Certification Fire 77, CA, CF & CP
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application since this information will be used to determine who will be invited to participate in the next phase of the examination process. The examination process may include any or all of the following: application appraisal, oral board interview examination. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass background check/ fingerprinting and clear DMV record.
Reasonable Accommodation : The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 no later than three (3) calendar days before the test date.
Job PDF: Wildfire-Defensible Space Inspector Job Announcement.pdf
NO Benefits available with this position
Successful candidates MUST be fully updated prior to appointment. Proof of COVID vaccination and booster is a condition of initial and continued employment with the City of San Rafael.
Contact email: email@example.com
Closing Date/Time: Until filled