Behavioral Health Nurse
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization. Premium Pay
In addition to the hourly salary, eligible applicants may receive premium pay for the items listed below.
Other Additional Premium Pays
- Bilingual pay: Qualified employees who meet the criteria found ( page 18 ) shall receive an additional seventy $0.70 cents per hour for all hours paid.
- Night Shift Differential pay: Employees assigned to a night shift shall be paid a night shift differential for each hour actually worked on the assigned night shift. Pay rate is determined by assigned shift hours found here (page 15).
- Nurse Hiring Incentive: Upon completion of new employee probation, eligible employees shall receive a one-time lump sum incentive of $1,000, within 2 pay periods.
- Nurse Retention: Upon completion of 10,400 service hours (approximately 5 years of service) in a Nurse classification, you will receive 3% of your annual base salary as a one-time lump sum payment.
This recruitment is open to the public
, will remain open for a minimum of five (5) business days, and will remain open on a continuous basis until the needs of the County are met.
Candidates who are placed on the eligible list will remain on the eligible list for six (6) months and may be considered/referred for selection/hiring interviews. After six (6) months, candidates must reapply to receive further consideration.
This recruitment is being held to establish an open eligible list that will be used to fill current and future Behavioral Health Nurse positions within the County of Orange. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications. HEALTH CARE AGENCY County of Orange Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the direction of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team, with an organizational structure comprised of seven (7) service areas - Finance and Administrative, Mental Health and Recovery Services, Correctional Health, Medical Health Services, Office of Care Coordination, Public Health, and Strategy and Special Projects, is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. MENTAL HEALTH AND RECOVERY SERVICES
The Mental Health and Recovery Services (MHRS)
Division consists of three (3) service areas, which provide a culturally competent and client-centered system of behavioral health services for all eligible county residents in need of treatment for alcohol and other drug abuse and mental health care. The service areas include:
- Children, Youth, and Prevention Services
- Adult and Older Adult Services
- Authority and Quality Improvement Services
HCA is recruiting for Behavioral Health Nurses to maintain program compliance with State regulations, primary care physician linkage, metabolic monitoring, medication services, crisis intervention, and medical consultation for all consumers in the programs.
Current openings are in the following programs: DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate will possess at least four (4) years or more of experience as a Registered Nurse working and evaluating individuals in a behavioral health setting, including working with high risk populations that are a danger to themselves and/or the community, being gravely disabled as a result of a mental disorder, having a co-occurring substance abuse disorder, or having healthcare issues. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess extensive knowledge and/or experience in the following core competencies:
Oral | Written Communication Skills
- Technical Knowledge | Professional Experience
- Providing interventions and supportive services to individuals for recovery purposes
- Identifying risk factors contributing to the mental health problems within client population
Maintaining and Building Relationships | Interpersonal Skills
- Communicating effectively with law enforcement, schools, families, social services, hospitals, and private citizens
Judgement | Decision Making
- Handling high profile and sensitive request from the community with professional diplomacy and skill
- Exercising good judgment, thinking quickly, and making sound decisions to prevent injury/loss of life, public relations issues, and agency liability
- Developing and implementing safety plans to ensure safety of individuals within the facility, clinic, and community
- Being alert and mindful of personal safety and security while giving care to mentally ill clients
to learn more about the minimum qualifications, environmental conditions, and physical chracteristics for the Behavioral Health Nurse Classification.RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified candidates. After screening, qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.Online Examinations(Weighted 100%)
Candidates whose experience and education appear to best meet the needs of the department will be invited to participate in an examination(s) covering job-related items. Only the candidates who receive the highest score on the assessment(s) will be referred to the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedure listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination or testing as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, will be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing .
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted, they will be required to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position. EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Rasika Wijayaweera at (714) 834-7877 or RWijayaweera@ochca.com.
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous