We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the required minimum qualifications.
The City of Fort Lauderdale is seeking dynamic and goal-driven employees. Employees that are motivated to take on today's greatest challenges and rewards in the field of local public service. Employees who are passionate about making a difference and achieving our mission: We Build Community, in a fast-paced organization that operates by vision, strategy, and action. Would you fit in? Apply now.
This is skilled, diversified, journey-level work of more than average difficulty in the installation, maintenance, repair and replacement of electrical, electronic, or Instrumentation and Control systems and equipment in a large utility operation, including but not limited to motor drives, variable frequency drives, pressure, level, pH and programmable logic controllers
An employee in this class performs assignments requiring the use of standard trade practices in the repair, maintenance and new construction of City facilities. Work assignments may be accompanied by sketches, blueprints, schematics or diagrams. Work is subject to inspection while in progress and is checked upon completion.
Work in this class differs from lower level classes in that the employee performs highly skilled work in one or more of the electro-technology skill categories: industrial electricity, Instrumentation and Controls, and electronics.
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Teamsters Local Union 769 and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Teamsters Local Union 769. NOTE:
The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description. Beginning January 1st 2021, the City will participate in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) which will require a 3% contribution from employees. Anyone hired after Jan 1, 2021 will be automatically enrolled in FRS.
Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan!
That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness ( PSLF ) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit www.fortlauderdale.gov/PublicServiceLoanForgiveness for more information or to see if you qualify. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Works around medium voltage, rotating equipment and various hazardous chemicals.
- Installs, maintains, repairs, and tests industrial electrical wiring systems, fixtures, motors, generators, transformers, and other industrial electrical and/or electronic equipment safely and efficiently
- Maintains switches, switch components, and transformers
- Tests equipment for possible electrical trouble; repairs industrial electrical equipment and related components
- Repairs and replaces industrial electrical and/or electronic panels, fuses, switches, and wiring
- Lays out, tests, calibrates, and installs instruments and related devices used for controlling automatic equipment for measuring flow, pressure, temperature, etc.
- Maintains adequate records relating to installation, maintenance, testing, repair, and replacement of instruments, controls, and related devices
- Procures parts and services as needed
- Assists in preparing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's)
- Ensures compliance with safety regulations and standard operating procedures
- May be required to perform "stand-by duty", being available and responding to off-duty emergency call-ins to effect repairs to malfunctioning electrical, electronic and/or instrument systems
- Performs related work as required
Special Requirements: Essential Employees
- Have successfully graduated from an accredited high school or trade school, or possess an acceptable G.E.D. certificate, preferably supplemented with trade courses in industrial electricity, electronics or instrumentation.
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience with instrumentation and controls. Additional qualifying experience or completion of coursework at an accredited college or university in a job-related field, may substitute on a year-for-year basis for one year of the required experience or education.
- Electrician Journeyman License or Certification in Electronics is preferred
- Possess or be able to obtain a valid State of Florida driver's license within 30 days after hire
may be required to work during a declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine who will be required to work.HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants may be required to take a medical examination and/or pass a drug screening prior to appointment. Open until sufficient applicants have applied.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( J204 ) at time of application.