About Our Job
The Office of the Municipal Public Defender has been in existence for seven years in the City and County of Denver. We are excited to invite applications for an Juris Doctorate Unpaid Internship.
The Denver Office of the Municipal Public Defender's primary focus is to provide comprehensive legal representation to defendants who face jail time for violating municipal ordinances or traffic offensesin the Denver County Court System. The creation of this office ensures that the City and County of Denver is on the same level with other progressive municipalities providing quality in-house Public Defense services for indigent citizens.
The Chief Municipal Public Defender is seeking unpaid interns for Summer 2022 - extensions for school credit are also available. Interns will gain experience in the courtrooms and supplement the scope of their legal education. Interns will also gain experience in criminal defense.
As an intern, you will have the opportunity to experience:
- Criminal law and procedure
- Courtroom procedures
- Legal research and writing
- Interview witnesses
- Trial preparation
- Courtroom trials
- Writing and litigation motions
- Appellate work
- Public Defender internship and duties will depend upon the level ofexperience and whether the candidate qualifies under the Student Practice Act.
This an unpaid internship
Our ideal candidate will have/be:
- Interest in public defense
- Previous law clinic work experience
- High attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Be extremely organized
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Ability to adapt to changes in work
- Possess conflict resolution abilities
- Legal research, writing, and oral advocacy experience
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Must be currently enrolled in Law School leading to the attainment to a JD
- Education Requirement: Current enrollment in an accredited college program leading to a certificate, licensure, associates, bachelor’s, or higher degree in, or a recent graduate (completed specified program within 1 year of completion)
- Experience Requirement: None
- Education and Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted
Other mandatory documentation required to be considered for this position:
- Current college transcripts (official or unofficial)
- Cover letter
- Writing sample of your choice no more than 3 pages in length
About Everything Else
WW1122 Unpaid Intern
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Position Salary Range
$0.00 - $0.00
Office of Municipal Public Defender
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.