About Our Job
Denver’s Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI), through its employees, enhances the quality of life in Denver by efficiently delivering effective, high quality, safe and equitable public infrastructure and services, including transportation planning, design and construction; major projects, maintenance of streets, bridges and storm and sanitary sewers; residential trash, recycling and compost collection; and oversight and regulation of use of the public right-of-way including on-street parking. We employ a culture of safety throughout the department to strengthen workplace health and organizational performance. For more information, please visit www.denvergov.org/DOTI .
DOTI’s Commitment to Equity:
- DOTI is committed to providing attention and resources to the areas, assets, and people of the city with the greatest need. Through equitable contracting, equitable investments, and equitable workforce development.
- DOTI’s culture revolves around four key principles: (1) Invest in Our People, (2) Operate with Discipline, (3) Use Data to Drive Decisions, and (4) Deliver Results
- The Right of Way Services (ROWS) Construction and Engineering Team is looking to fill an engineering internship position.
Fleet Management's Maintenance Division is looking to fill 2 Heavy/Light Duty Mechanic Internship positions. This is an excellent opportunity to develop your skills as a diesel mechanic in an environment that focuses on quality. We offer extensive training and provide you with the necessary skills to make it in the fast paced and ever-changing world of a Mechanic.
Fleet Management maintains approximately 2400 vehicles and pieces of equipment. Fleet Management’s goal is to sustain city vehicle availability at 95% or better. It also tracks vehicle usage and maintenance costs, prioritizes vehicle replacements, procures new vehicles and heavy equipment, and contracts for fuel used by City and County of Denver vehicles.
These positions will be located at Roslyn (5440 Roslyn St., Denver, CO 80216) or Central Platte (1271 W. BayaudAve., Denver CO, 80223). And available for both 1st and 2nd Shifts depending on school schedule (6:30 AM - 3:00 PM or 2:30 PM - 11:00 PM). DOTI does provide the selected intern with a basic tool kit, uniforms, and provides a voucher to approved vendors for interns purchases of safety shoes, and approved safety glasses as part of the experience.
This is an on-call position which will work no more than 39 hours per week and is not eligible for benefits. On-call positions may have routine or variable work schedules.
As an intern you will get to experience:
- Introduction Safety procedures and protocols
- Assist in inspections of vehicle brought into the shop
- Assist in preventative maintenance and check in services of fleet vehicles
- Assist in repairing or replacing worn parts not requiring major mechanical work
- Assist in inspecting primary and auxiliary operating systems for loose and worn parts
- Assist in vehicle diagnostic using a computer
- Other shop task as necessary
Our ideal candidate will have/be:
- Current enrollment in a Diesel Mechanics program leading to a certificate, licensure or Associates Degree in Diesel Mechanics
- Current knowledge of and use of hand tools and power tools
- Previous diesel or gas mechanic or parts service provider experience
- Experience using a computerized vehicle diagnostic tool
- Firm understanding of general shop/vehicle bay safety procedures
- A desire to learn the mechanics trade and willing to work on a diverse fleet, including refuse (trash), street sweepers, and wastewater equipment
- Candidates that have a passion for this trade
- Candidates that are career oriented and understands the importance of longevity and how time in position adds value to one’s overall performance
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education Requirement: Current enrollment in a trades or vocational accredited program leading to a certificate, licensure, or associate’s degree, or a recent graduate (within 1 year of completion of a specified program). The field is specific to the departmental and/or work assignment
- Experience: None
- Education and Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted
- Licensure and certifications: This position requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
Other mandatory documentation required to be considered for this position:
- Transcripts - unofficial or official
About Everything Else
TA3179 Trades and Vocational Intern
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Position Salary Range
$15.87 - $17.93
$15.87 - $17.93 Based on Education
Dept of Transportation & Infrastructure
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.