About Our Job
Are you passionate about doing work that has a positive effect in your communities? Would you rather be outdoors and active in that community rather than being chained to a desk all day? Are you looking for unmatched benefits and a pension plan to better you and your families future? We may have just the position for you!
Working for the City and County of Denver (CCD) is so much more than a job.It’s a chance to make a difference in your own life and in the lives of people around you. Click here to find out about all the amazing benefits and reasons to work for the city that you love!
The City and County of Denver is committed to cultivating a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. This commitment is woven into our values and belief that we are strongest when we embrace and celebrate our differences. If you share these values and our enthusiasm for equity, we encourage you to apply to join our team.
BUILDING COMMUNITY: Denver Community Planning and Development is responsible for visionary city planning and ensuring safe, responsible, sustainable building. CPD regulates planning, zoning, development and maintenance of private property in Denver. We're working hard to make Denver a great place to live, work and play! Visit DenverGov.org/CPD.
The City and County of Denver’s Community Planning and Development Department (CPD) is recruiting for a full-time City Inspector II in our Zoning/Neighborhood Inspection Services (Z/NIS) work group within the Development Services Division. Inspectors with the Z/NIS work group help retain the community's appeal and protect the quality of life within Denver neighborhoods by seeking maximum compliance to Denver code requirements concerning external property maintenance and land use. Inspectors in Z/NIS seek citizen awareness to code requirements to gain voluntary compliance by performing inspections of residential and business property to assure code conformity.
As a City Inspector II, you are responsible for:
- Performing intermediate level inspection work ensuring compliance with city standards, ordinances and guidelines
- Investigating and resolving complaints, enforcing compliance and issue notices, orders, summons and citations
- Researching standards and ordinances, writing reports, maintaining records and documents associated with tracking permits, projects, legal actions, and compliance issues
- Coordinating inspections with other city departments and agencies when inspection issues cross over into other trade or work type areas
- Approving and signing off on Certificate of Occupancy when work is completed to ensure it adheres to all zoning ordinances
The City Inspector II will be required to represent the city as a subject matter expert by presenting testimony and historical facts in legal matters, hearings, and court sessions regarding zoning code violations. The Denver Zoning Code, adopted in 2010, implements the city’s vision for the future of Denver, by calibrating regulations for structures, uses and parking by neighborhood context.
Work schedule is Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (some weekend or alternative work hours may be required).
A city vehicle is provided while on duty.
Our ideal candidate:
- Has knowledge of the layout of the City and County of Denver Streets
- Thrives in high pressure situations
- Empathetic mindset; Can de-escalate conflicts
- Solution oriented
- Possesses excellent people skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to write reports and written notices to residents
- Has a passion for public service; Previous government and/or commercial development related inspection experience helpful
- Bilingual (Spanish preferred). Fluent in speaking and writing is preferred
- Higher level understanding of ordinances and zoning or reading construction plans is a big plus
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Graduate from high school or possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate
- Experience: Two (2) years of experience conducting on-site inspections and investigations to ensure compliance with standards and ordinances
- Equivalency:Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
- Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application
- Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
To be considered for this position, you must include the following with your job application (upload the attachment(s) to the Resume/CV section on the My Experience tab):
- Cover Letter (Highly preferred, not required)
About Everything Else
CN1825 City Inspector II
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Position Salary Range
$21.70 - $32.55
$25.00 - $29.00/hour, based on education and experience
Community Planning & Development
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.