The Town of Longboat Key is accepting applications for a Part-Time Marine Patrol Officer in our Police Department. An employment physical will be required, except for current employees who have met this requirement. Position Title
: Part-Time Marine Patrol Officer Position
: 19114 Date Posted
: March 15, 2022 Closing Date
: Until Filled Salary
: $22.68/hour Pay Grade
Expectations for All Employees
Supports the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors:
- Be Service Minded
- Value Teamwork
- Be Professional
- Have the Utmost Integrity
- Demonstrates Mutual Respect
- Bring a Positive Attitude to Work
- Embrace Continuous Improvement
The purpose of this position is to provide law enforcement Marine Patrol for the Longboat Key Police Department as assigned by the Chief of Police.
- Meets current Florida Police Officer Standards
- Assignment – part time Marine Patrol Officer
- Reports to on-duty Patrol Supervisor
- Ability to take direction and work under minimal supervision
- Ability to deal with individuals and critical situations in an effective manner
- Ability to demonstrate and operate a large variety of mechanical equipment to include trucks, trailers, boats, ATV's, etc.
- Ability to perform physical labor and withstand heat and physical exertion
- Ability to read and understand complicated rules, regulations and procedures
- Marine Coast Guard Captain License or agrees to complete training in 12 months
- Primary duty hours are flexible to meet department needs:
- Willing to rotate to any needed shift
- Saturday, Sunday and Holidays as assigned
- Saturday, Sunday and Holiday(s) 1100 to 2000 or as adjusted
- Patrols marine waters on marine boat constantly scanning for persons or boats in dangerous situations or in need of assistance. The primary patrol is the jurisdiction of the Town of Longboat Key and/or as assigned by the Chief of Police.
- Responds to the scenes of crimes and accidents; searches for and preserves evidence; investigates and searches for clues; searches for and apprehends violators.
- Other functions deemed essential by the Town and communicated to the employee by his/her supervisor or department head.
Every incidental duty connected with this position cannot be specified in the job description and an employee, at the discretion of the Town, may be required to perform duties that are not included in this job description.
Job Performance Knowledge and Abilities
Basic knowledge of the principles and practices of police work, as indicated by obtaining a Certificate of Completion from the State of Florida Commission on Criminal Justice Standards & Training.
Boating knowledge specific to operation of the Longboat Key Police Department vessels as needed and approved by the Chief of Police.
Thorough knowledge of the rules and regulations for environmental protection and investigation. Must have experience in marine resources, environmental activities and boating safety.
Maintain required records to include daily statistics for grant reporting.
Ability to observe situations analytically and objectively, and to report and record them clearly and completely in the English language. Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public. Ability to make a forcible arrest. Ability to meet approved physical requirements, as mandated by the State. Ability to deliver emergency medical care to injured parties consistent with established training guidelines and protocols.
Majority of time is spent doing marine patrol work in a Marine boat or police duties on scene; limited office work involved. Tasks are performed in outdoor environments. Due to the nature and location of the work environment, tasks include potential for considerable exposure to disagreeable elements, e.g., heat, humidity, inclement weather. Some tasks include working with persons in distress, where heightened awareness to surroundings and observance of established safety precautions is essential in the preservation of life and property. Some tasks include working around moving parts, carts, and materials handling where physical risks are predictable and/or controllable by observance of standard safety precautions.
Call back duty is an essential function of this position. Employees called back to duty on off hours will be paid for actual time worked, including from time of notice to their return home, at one and half times their regular hourly rate, with a minimum guarantee of 3 hours.
Minimum Qualifications PREFERRED:
Florida law enforcement experience and Coast Guard Captain License. REQUIRED
: A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
High school diploma or equivalent. Must meet the minimum standards as set forth by the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training, and maintain a valid and current Certificate of Completion. Possession of a valid Florida driver's license required (MVR background check).
Successful completion of an employment physical and drug screen to confirm the ability to perform the essential functions of the job (cannot be waived for promoted or transferred Town employees who have previously met this requirement due to FLOE auditing requirements), signed Acknowledgement for the attached "Drug Free Workplace Policy" must be provided prior to assuming Town duties. Successful completion of polygraph, thorough background check and psychological evaluation. New hires must sign a Hepatitis B vaccination, proof of same, or signed Acknowledgement declining the vaccination (see attached Information to Employees - Hepatitis B) must be provided prior to assuming Town duties.
The Town is a Drug Free Workplace, in compliance with the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988, in § 440.102, FS and Rules 59A-24 F.A.C (Florida Administrative Code). State and federal laws and regulations may subject certain employees to additional drug testing requirements. Any employee who violates the program is subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination. The Town of Longboat Key is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, who provides hiring preference to eligible veterans and their family members, and has a strong drug free workplace and alcohol abuse policy. Additionally, where appropriate, the Town may waive post-secondary education requirements for certain service members and veterans.
Closing Date/Time: Until Filled