DESCRIPTION Applications are available online beginning Friday, March 18, 2022, through 4:30 pm, Friday, July 1, 2022 (NEW DEADLINE!) EXTENDED The City of Long Beach requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment unless a medical or religious accommodation is approved by the City of Long Beach's Human Resources Department. EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Under general direction supervises a corrosion control group, which is responsible for monitoring, operating, maintaining and modifying natural gas pipeline cathodic protection systems (CPS); supervises and performs field tests to gather data on CPS status; evaluates data and implements system modifications to meet U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements; utilizes a variety of specialized tools and equipment including: potentiometers, interrupters, Pearson Pipe Locators, Miller meters, copper sulphate electrodes and sol resistivity meters; troubleshoots electrical rectifiers; writes detailed specifications for contact work, equipment and materials necessary for CPS operation and maintenance; prepares and maintains accurate records pertaining to CPS; utilizes Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System (SCADA); maintains current, accurate, and accessible DOT mandated compliance records pertaining to CPS; deals regularly with the public and maintains liaison with a variety of private and governmental organizations; monitors contracted field activities related to CPS; selects, trains, assigns, supervises, and evaluates the work of subordinates; and performs other duties as required. REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
Certification (proof required)* as a Cathodic Protection Technician (CP2) from the National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) and one of the following:
- Bachelor's degree in physical sciences or engineering -AND- One (1) year of verifiable cathodic protection work ( full-time equivalent paid) experience;
- Two (2) years of verifiable cathodic protection work ( full-time equivalent paid) experience -AND- Two (2) years of post-high school training from approved math or science technical/trade school;
- Three (3) years of verifiable cathodic protection work ( full-time equivalent paid) experience.
Must obtain U.S. Department of Transportation Natural Gas Pipeline Operator Qualification Certification for Pipeline assigned tasks prior to completion of the probation period. May assist with serving as an evaluator for Operator Qualification certification and/or for certifying and training in-house personnel and contractors for annual PE fusion certification.
Employees in this classification are subject to the Federal Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration's (PHMSA) Anti-Drug & Alcohol Misuse/Prevention Program. *Proof of required documents, such as degree or transcripts, must be uploaded to the online application at the time of filing. Any proofs submitted must contain either the applicant's name or other identifying characteristic on the form. Degrees must indicate the field of study and transcripts must indicate field of study and degree conferred date. Candidates who possess degrees from colleges or universities from outside the United States must attach proof of educational equivalence at the time of filing. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of CPS systems to recommend and implement CPS modifications to comply with federal regulations (49 CFR Part 192 Subpart I-Requirements for Corrosion Control);
- Knowledge of CPS maintenance activities to train, supervise and coordinate field personnel;
- Ability to perform field testing, operate, maintain, and modify a natural gas pipeline cathodic protection system (CPS);
- Ability to maintain current, accurate and accessible records of field data;
- Ability to deal effectively with people on a daily basis.
- Ability to safely lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds, enter confined spaces, and work from heights;
- Ability to operate a personal computer, tablet, or other electronic devices.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; and
- Ability to Perform mathematical calculations.
Willingness and ability to work an alternative work schedule, overtime, weekends, holidays, irregular hours, and be on-call, as needed.
A valid driver's license must be submitted to the hiring department at the time of the selection. SELECTION PROCEDURE EXAMINATION WEIGHTS:
Application and Supplemental Application......................................................Qualifying
Appraisal Interview ...........................................................................100%
A minimum rating of 70 must be attained in order to pass the examination. Certification by score bands will be considered based on analysis of exam results. This is a continuous eligible list, which mean eligible lists may be established periodically and may expire six months from their effective date. Applicants may apply only once during a four month period. Applications received by April 1, 2022, will be placed on Test #01 established eligible list for this recruitment.
Screening of applicants will be conducted on the basis of application and required supplemental application submitted. Only those candidates showing the strongest backgrounds on the basis of comparative analysis will be invited to the examination process. Based on the number of applications accepted, the selection procedure may be changed. In the event a revision is necessary, the affected persons will be notified. If you have not received notification of the status of your application within two weeks of close of filing, please contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202.
In support of the City's Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer and/or Tagalog) are desirable for some positions interacting with the public.
This information is available in an alternative format by request at (562) 570-6202. If special accommodation is desired, please contact the Civil Service Department two (2) business days prior to the test at (562) 570-6202. For hearing impaired, call (562) 570-6638.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
J.O.B. L27NN-22 CCS:ER 03/16/2022Closing Date/Time: 7/1/2022 4:30 PM Pacific