Description: Working Title
Director of Finance and Operations (College Business Officer) Administrator Level
This position is an MPP Level II in the California State University Management Personnel Plan (MPP), reporting to the College Dean. SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State's policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX Coordinator and Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation Administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Francisco State is a 100% Smoke/Vapor-Free Campus. Smoking or Vaping of any tobacco/plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. Department
Lam Family of College of Business Dean's Office Time Base
Full-time (1.0) Work Schedule
Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm, and as needed Anticipated Hiring Range
$7,500.00 - $9,003.00 Per Month ($90,000.00 - $108,036.00 Annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience. Position Summary
The Director of Finance and Operations is also the Chief Financial Officer of the Lam Family College of Business and reports to the College Dean. The incumbent is responsible for the strategic planning and manages the College of Business budget, including human resources, information technology/computer lab, and facilities. The Director of Finance and Operations will play a critical role in partnering with the leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as the College continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. A finance and operations leader has tremendous opportunity to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a high-impact organization. Position Information
90% Fiscal Affairs Management, Human Resources, Administration and Operations:
The Director of Finance and Administration will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the Dean of the College of Business. The incumbent will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, facilities, administration, and IT.
- Participates as an integral part of the executive management team/staff leadership team to develop the annual operating budget. Provides strategic, technical, financial consultation and strategic and knowledge to others within the college including the Dean, Associate Dean, Executive Director of Business Development and Marketing, Chairs and Department Managers on financial issues including revenue and expense budgets. Leads/supports the preparation, coordination and analysis of the Financial Management Systems (FMS) forecast and budget process across all 10 departments. Oversees Quarterly re-forecasts and mid-year estimates.
- Develops, monitors and maintains College budget accounts including general fund, trust accounts, special projects, foundation accounts, self-support accounts. Develops and communicates processes to ensure correct revenue reporting and expense tracking as well as compliance with procurement guidelines. Develops and maintains budget recording and reporting system for department and key personnel use. Tracks all college accounts including endowment accounts, Center and Institute accounts, trusts and foundations and ensures proper reporting. Sets-up financial recording and reporting processes for any funded grants and works with appropriate University functions to provide required reports.
- Monitors, reconciles, analyzes and reports on current, present and past year budgets. Monitors account balances to prepare budget summary reports using spreadsheet and database software showing balances and purchase categories for accounts in order to project budgets for various categories of expenditure. Reconciles accounts, reviews and analyzes OBIEE expenditure reports and resolves discrepancies with purchasing and/or accounting office.
- Audits the College procurement functions for compliance.
- Tracks all college accounts including endowment accounts, Center, Institute, and Initiative accounts, trusts and foundations and ensures proper reporting. Sets-up financial recording and reporting processes for any funded grants and works with appropriate University functions to provide required reports.
- Advises and implements strategies to maximize LFCoB's financial position to the Dean, Associate Dean, and Executive Director of Business Development and Marketing. Develops and implements initiatives focused on the fiscal impact of long-term and short-term planning, new programs/strategies, and regulatory action.
- Provides strategic financial forecasts, analysis, and leadership on new venture business plans, e.g., evaluation of self- support programs, CEL programs, executive education programs, etc. Contributes financial support and expertise, for example by calculating startup/shut down costs, projections and return on investment, and goal establishment and measurement.
- Develops, implements, manages the systems and financial infrastructure to ensure new venture success in the Lam Family College of Business. e.g. payment systems, registration systems, etc. Involved with payment collections and compliance as revenue grows, ensures that payments are posted, reported and collected in accordance to CSU/University Policies & Procedures
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, directs, and evaluates the organization's finances and financial performance, including but not limited to: general accounting, data processing, purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll so that they are in accordance with university policies and procedures.
- Develops and is responsible for an accounting system that is sufficient to provide: timely and accurate budgets for the LFCoB, and new revenue generating initiatives, (new and on-going), and a system that can ensure accurate financial reports and trend analysis in order to assist the Dean, Associate Dean, and Executive Director of Business Development and Marketing, and supervisors in the performance of their responsibilities.
- Participates in regular meetings of the leadership team to provide timely and accurate financial statements, budget variance reports, and analyses of current and future financial matters. Responsible for the timely and accurate preparation and internal distribution of quarterly financial statements, management reports, and variance reports (new and on-going projects). Advises the leadership team on monitoring financial performance, and approving the annual budget with the Dean.
- Provides financial analytical support to executive management by conducting forecasting, variance analysis, complex analyses such as breakeven analysis, product valuation, sensitivity analyses, impact of change, financial modeling, pro forma Profit and Loss models, project valuation, etc.
- Reviews, audits, evaluates the organization's finances and financial performance of the Vista Room Account in OBIEE to ensure the LFCOB & HTM Department agree to expenditures. Works with HTM to generate final report.
- Works with Bursar's Office & Budget Office to ensure new course curriculum fees are being collected.
- Monitors and Reconciles CSU MBA/MSA/MSBA fees-Professional, works with Bursar's Office/DTC Graduate Program Coordinators/Operations Manager to ensure that there are no discrepancies in the fee collection.
- Monitors and Reconciles CSU MBA/MSA/MSBA program fees-Local (Rent), works with Campus Asset & Space Management to ensure there are no discrepancies on monthly billing.
- Ensures that CSU MBA/MSA/MSBA fees are spent in accordance with CSU Policies and adhere to EO 1054.
- Student Time and Labor: ensures time and payments are in the correct accounts, due to new reporting structure.
- Develops the College of Business human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
- Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Establishes and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding polies and procedures of the University.
- Oversees administrative functions of the Academic Office Coordinators to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization grows.
- Oversees the facility/operation coordination and safety efforts of the College.
- Works with Academic/Information Technology to ensure that all LFCoB staff, faculty and students have the appropriate technology to ensure student success as well as serve the operations for the staff and faculty.
- Supervises College Fiscal Affairs and oversees budgetary costs of all College Units, Human Resources, Scheduling, Operations, etc.
10% Other Responsibilities as Assigned or Initiated
- Identifies matters that need addressing and initiates appropriate actions in consultation with the Dean.
- Serves as a member of the College Leadership Team.
Other duties as assigned Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably in a related field such as Business, Economics.
- Five years of budget related experience in an office setting, thorough knowledge of budgetary and fiscal matters.
- Must be able to work independently without direct supervision on day-to-day tasks. Strong analytical, accounting, finance and communications skills; ability to manage confidential documents and matters; comfortable handling multiple accounts and expense transactions; excellent organizational skills. Ability to interpret and integrate complex financial data to formulate appropriate controls and courses of action. Ability to effectively use applicable information systems in analysis, research, and reporting activities. Use of sound judgement and fiscal integrity to address complex budgetary challenges and priorities. Ability to serve as the primary contact for College. Oversee day-to-day business affairs operations and provide direction to business operations managers and personnel, with accountability for results.
- Master's degree, preferably in a related field such as Business and Economics.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. required. Financial Analytical Skills.
- Knowledge of CSU and University Fiscal Policies and procedures at San Francisco State University. Knowledge of CFS, OBIEE, HRMS, LCD, PeopleSoft and other University systems and processes.
- Usual Work hours will be 8 am to 5 pm.; may be adjusted to accommodate special working conditions or by administratively-approved request from employee.
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Ability to work variable nights, weekends and/or holidays, on-campus or off-site, depending upon work conditions and demands.
- Ability to use computers and other communications tools for extended periods of time.
This position requires the successful completion of a background check. Eligibility to Work
Applicants must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire. Benefits
Threaded through our Total Compensation package is a commitment to Bridging Life's Transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the customers we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave as well as State Holidays and a dynamic Fee Waiver program, all geared towards the University's commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employee. Employment Requirement
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to email@example.com
. Additional Information SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
Thank you for your interest in employment with California State University (CSU). CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California. Because of this, CSU prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California with very limited exception. While this position may be eligible for occasional telework, all work is expected to be performed in the state of California, and this position is assigned to on-campus operations.
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Please note that this position, position requirements, application deadline and/or any other component of this position is subject to change or cancellation at any time.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled