Introduction ***As of Sunday, 6/19/2022, the salary range will increase to $15.35/hour to $22.32/hour***
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale
.About The Position
The Adaptive Services Recreation Leader II leads, plans, and conducts recreation activities at a recreation site, facility, or specialty area in Community Services for people with disabilities. Examples are facilitation of positive social interaction between a child with a disability and his/her non-disabled peers in an after school program; assistance in swim lessons; coaching adaptive sports; and, modifying activities to meet participants individual abilities in an inclusive setting.Please note the following:
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience providing assistance to individuals with developmental, physical, emotional and/or learning disabilities.
- Although the starting rate of pay is $14.62/hour, additional compensation may be awarded depending on prior recreation or related experience.
- Part-time positions have limited benefits, as required by law.
- Part-time positions are also unclassified, meaning they are at-will and serve at the discretion of the City.
- Interviews may be conducted periodically throughout this continuous recruitment period, which will be based on the needs of the Adaptive Services Center.
- This job posting may close without notice if a significant number of applications are received and/or all of the available positions have been filled.
- Your application may be shared with other Parks & Recreation and/or Human Services areas.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview and an assessment exercise. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 years
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
- Drug Screening
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements
- A minimum of six months experience in a customer service position.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date. The Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles requires that out-of-state driver's licenses must be surrendered within 10 days of relocating to the State of Arizona.
- Successfully complete driving training, first aid, and safety classes.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/section assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Transports recreation program participants in a City vehicle for off-site excursions, depending on assignment.
- Sets up, tears down and cleans up for events, projects and programs.
- Plans, implements, and evaluates recreation programs for youth, teens, and/or adults with developmental, physical, emotional and/or learning disabilities.
- Provides physical assistance to participants as needed - excluding personal care services.
- Ensures that activities are modified (when possible) to meet individual abilities and accommodate limitations of participants. Ensures that activities are age and ability appropriate. Ex: Providing step by step instructions to individual participants during play when participating in group games or providing brightly colored balls, paddles, goals, etc. during sports games if participant has visual difficulties are examples of reasonable accommodations.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Click here to review the entire job description.The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
- Move objects up to 50 pounds a long distance (greater than 20 ft.), such as setting up tables, sound and lighting equipment, booth frames, and lifting trash bags.
- For some assignments, be able to lift up to 50 pounds, bend, stoop, stand for long periods of time, and scoop ice cream requiring repetitive arm/hand movement.
- Work days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous