Description: Job Summary
Under general supervision of the Assistant Director of Admissions and Recruitment, the Admissions Officer works collaboratively with other university departments and offices in presenting Cal Poly's academic programs, its philosophy, admission practices and procedures to prospective students and their families, secondary and post-secondary personnel, community based organizations, and to the general public. As part of the full cycle of recruitment and admission, the Admissions Officer admits freshmen, transfer, and graduate students, identifies requirements for their particular major, and advises students regarding appropriate pathways for meeting major and General Education degree requirements in order to ensure a timely and positive admissions process. The Admissions Officer assists in the development of statistical reports through the utilization and analysis of institutional, state, national, and third party research based information databases to enhance recruitment strategies, yield management, forecasting, and operational efficiency. Department Summary
The Admissions Office serves the University by recruiting, admitting and enrolling a highly qualified, diverse new student population. The Admissions Office's primary function is to advise prospective students and the general public on admissions requirements, and to process all relevant materials to make an admission determination. This position, under general direction, provides advising to prospective students in support of the entire admission process and assists in actively recruiting and advising prospective students. Key Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Ability and willingness to work as an effective advising team member in all aspects of Admissions, Recruitment and Financial Aid and of the university as a whole. Dedication to the common goals of the university and department.
- Knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn Admission's practices and procedures, Cal Poly's catalog, CAM, and various manuals and publications.
- Ability to counsel and advise constituents on a range of admission and enrollment processes. Must maintain a thorough knowledge of trends in the field of admissions and advises constituents on the breadth and depth of opportunities available at Cal Poly. This advising occurs primarily through in-person information sessions, individual appointments, phone calls, e-mails, online chats, webcasts and interactions within the constituent relationship management system (CRM)
- Assist in the development and execution of recruitment plans for assigned territory; manage activities occurring within the territory or affecting constituents within it. Initiates, develops, and maintains relationships with constituents within a territory, including prospective students and their families, secondary and post-secondary personnel, community-based organizations, and other organizations involved in the college selection process. Plans and executes on- and off campus events to support recruitment, admissions, and yield, not only for the assigned territory, but also for broader audiences.
- Ability to utilize research based information resources (i.e. College Board's Enrollment Planning
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job related field. Two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field.
A master's degree in a job related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the required knowledge and abilities may be substituted for the required education on a year for year basis. Salary:
Anticipated Hiring Range: $51,648 - $54,000 per year
Classification Range: $51,640 - $73,440 per year Cal Poly
Known for its Learn by Doing pedagogy, Cal Poly is the flagship of the world-renowned California State University system. Annually recognized as one of the top public universities in the nation, Cal Poly continues to offer an academic curriculum based on learned experience gained through real-world practice. Located in San Luis Obispo, Cal Poly is nestled comfortably among the coastal foothills, minutes from the Pacific Ocean and equidistant to the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
Cal Poly offers a best-in-class benefits program, including health, dental and vision insurance, retirement participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System, and educational benefits for eligible employees. See our benefits website
for additional information. Diversity Statement
At Cal Poly, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. Cal Poly is an equal opportunity employer. Supplemental Information
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/
and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be "Designated" under California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. This would require the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest on an annual basis and the completion of training within 6 months of assuming office and every 2 years thereafter.
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo is not a sponsoring agency for staff positions (i.e. H1-B visas). Positions are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled