About Our Job
At the Department of Housing Stability (“HOST”), we are committed to support Denver residents as healthy, housed and connected. We invest resources, create policy, and partner with various organizations to help keep residents in the homes that they already live in, quickly resolve an experience of homelessness, and connect residents to new housing opportunities. To support these efforts, the department helps to:
- Stabilize residents at risk of involuntary displacement and connect residents to housing resources such as home repairs, rent and utility assistance, and legal support. This work is led by our Homelessness Resolution and Housing Stability Division.
- Support persons experiencing homelessness by connecting them to housing, shelter and other services to get stabilized quickly. This work is led by our Homelessness Resolution and Housing Stability Division.
- Create and preserve existing affordable housing and connect residents at any income level to new housing opportunities through affordable housing lending programs, partnerships, and other programs such as down payment assistance and counseling services. This work is led by our Housing Opportunity Division.
- Support financial services, contracting and procurement, data analysis and strategic planning, administrative resources, and communications across the housing continuum. This work is led by our Operations Division.
As an Accounting Technician, you will provide financial management services, including financial record keeping, procurement/payables support, and processing financial transactions. The work will be fluid, dynamic, and require the highest level of customer service to our internal and external clients and suppliers. Our team values innovative individuals with a strong commitment toward public service. We are looking for candidates who possess exceptional customer service skills, written and oral communication skills, effective knowledge of business processes and the ability to thrive in a team environment.
HOST is supporting a hybrid work environment for employees that includes a balance of remote and in-person work. Employees are empowered to work with their manager to determine a hybrid work schedule that best meets the needs of the employee, the organization, and those we serve. Any expected in-person work at downtown offices or other sites will be communicated in advance as the position is not fully remote.
Additionally our Accounting Technician will:
- Perform specialized clerical and technical level accounting activities that include record keeping and reporting in support of the Housing division with accounts payable and procurement
- Reconcile account balances, and supplier statements, tracks expenditures
- Perform analysis to identify problems with reconciliation and makes corrections
- Prepare reports that define financial information used internally by other City agencies and other governmental organizations
- Research variances to determine possible causes and recommends corrective actions
- Support client agency's budget process by helping with budget errors and match exceptions to ensure Agency payables are executed as effectively and efficiently as possible
- Ensure client agencies and suppliers receive excellent customer service
- Develop and maintain positive relationships, based on trust and collaboration, with agency personnel
Our ideal Accounting Technician will have some or all the following skills and expereince:
- An Associate Degree in accounting/finance
- At least 6 months accounting experience with federal grants
- Intermediate/advanced excel skills; strong analytical skills
- Excellent data entry and problem-solving skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to be a team player and support others in achieving departmental goals
- Ability to be self-motivated
We recognize your time is valuable, so please do not apply unless you meet the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate
- Experience: Three (3) years of experience performing financial recordkeeping, reconciliation of accounting discrepancies, and making journal and ledger entries
- Education/Experience Equivalency : Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
About Everything Else
CV2359 Accounting Technician II
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here .
Position Salary Range
$19.31 - $28.97
Based on experience and education
Department of Housing Stability
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.