CSUN strives to be a destination workplace, where everyone understands that they belong to a community that is vital in advancing student success and providing exemplary service to all stakeholders. We foster an environment of success, both for our students and our employees. We have a relentless passion for celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as being an employer of choice. You will also have the opportunity to realize your own personal goals and be recognized for the work you do, and enjoy the unique value the CSUN community can offer. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place. Learn more: https://www.csun.edu/about-csun.
Under general supervision, the Groundsworker performs landscape and grounds maintenance duties in accordance with university standards. The incumbent may work in a variety of areas performing general gardening tasks and special projects for campus beautification.
• Performs basic maintenance on trees, hedges, lawns and hardscape related to landscape and grounds.
• Assists specialists in tasks related to sprinkler maintenance and pest control.
• Works on special projects and event preparation as assigned.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
*NOTE: To view the full position description including all of the required qualifications copy and paste this link into your browser: https://bit.ly/3lKDrin
• One year of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas or in general grounds maintenance work, or in related manual labor.
LICENSE: CANDIDATE MUST POSSESS A VALID CALIFORNIA DRIVER'S LICENSE.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of general gardening and grounds maintenance methods. General knowledge of proper methods of planting, cultivating, and caring for hedges, ornamental trees, shrubs, lawns, and flowers as well as the use and care of gardening materials, tools, and equipment.
• Ability and specialized skills to: recognize the more common species of ornamental shrubs, trees and flowers grown in California; perform strenuous physical work as described above; utilize mechanical aptitude and motor coordination.
• Ability to learn to operate skillfully small trucks and power-driven grounds equipment; read and write at a level appropriate to the position; and follow simple oral and written instructions.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
• The university offers an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to: medical, dental, vision, retirement & savings, tuition waiver and more.
• Classification / grade: 0731 / Groundsworker / 1
• The anticipated HIRING RANGE: $3155 - $3299 , dependent upon qualifications and experience. The salary range for this classification is: $3155 - $4950 per month.
• HOURS: Full Time; 40 hours per week; 6am - 2:30pm, Monday through Friday.
• REG: This is a Regular position with a one-year probationary period.
• Applications received through May 13, 2022, will be considered in the initial review and review of applications will continue until position is filled.
• This position is a sensitive position as designated by the CSU.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• The person holding this position may be considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
• Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN on-line application. To submit an application and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
• CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. To learn more visit our Matadors Forward site: https://www.csun.edu/matadors-forward/faculty-and-staff-fall-guidelines
Equal Employment Opportunity
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Executive Order 1096. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting Recruitment Services at 818-677-2101.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Remote-eligible (Remote work is a type of flexible working arrangement that allows an employee to work from remote location)
Los Angeles, California