POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED: First review of applications February 28, 2022 JOB SUMMARY
Operates various types of heavy equipment used in the Transportation Division for the operation, maintenance, and construction of drainage, infrastructure. Performs underground storm drain maintenance and repairs, open channel cleaning, drainage infrastructure inspections, line locates; and performs other related duties. May be required to work in other departments of the Transportation Division including Streets or Traffic.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DECISION MAKING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Performs manual labor for drainage improvement construction projects and drainage maintenance activities.
- Operates various types of heavy equipment including but not limited to dump trucks, water trucks, loaders, vacuum trucks, skid loaders, hydro-seeder, camera equipment, and street sweepers;, utilizes jack hammers, chain saws, chippers, , and other power tools.
- Installs and maintain erosion control BMPs such as inlet protection, rock berms, silt fence.
- Maintains underground storm drain system.
- Participates in community outreach and education activities and events.
- Responds to and/or investigate illicit discharge calls such as spills, dumping, and leaks.
- Works in confined space environments.
- Cleans and sweeps City streets and/or Airport roads.
- Trims trees and/or shrubbery.
- Cleans all drainage infrastructure in the right-of-way of debris.
- Provides traffic control for construction activities, emergencies, parades and various types of special events.
- Cuts and grades open channels.
- Uses technology such as desktop computers, tablets, smartphones to perform job duties including inspections of drainage infrastructure, timekeeping.
- Participates in cross training with other Transportation Division crews including Streets and Traffic
- Provides on-call assistance; responds to emergency situations as required.
- Assist other Transportation Division crews or other City departments as required. Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Salary is dependent upon qualifications) MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- This position works under general supervision.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS CORE COMPETENCIES
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- One (1) year experience operating heavy equipment or performing street, drainage, or water or wastewater utility work is required.
- A Class A Commercial Driver's License is required within six (6) months of employment.
- Must possess a valid Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must be able to read/comprehend routine maintenance documentation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are required; must be able to maintain positive working relationships with City departments/personnel and the general public.
Physical requirements include lifting up to 85 pounds occasionally. Subject to vision and hearing constantly; standing, walking, pushing/pulling, reaching, handling, balancing, talking and foot controls frequently; sitting, lifting, carrying, fine dexterity, kneeling, twisting and climbing occasionally; crouching, crawling and bending rarely.
Working conditions involve exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, dust, dirt, heavy equipment, vehicle traffic, hot asphalt, hazardous chemicals/materials, and infectious diseases is involved. Utilizes personal protective equipment as required. Safety Sensitive Position.