Under supervision, cleans, sanitizes and maintains buildings including classrooms, restrooms, offices and related facilities; maintains floors and carpets; performs event setup and cleanup; and performs related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Cleans, sanitizes and restocks restrooms.
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, strips, waxes and polishes floors; vacuums and shampoos carpets.
- Prepares classrooms, rooms and facilities for special events, meetings and regular classroom usage; moves and arranges desks, tables, chairs, office furniture and equipment.
- Sanitizes, dusts and polishes furniture, woodwork and metalwork.
- Washes doors, windows, walls, ceilings and furniture.
- Cleans, sweeps and maintains safety of hallways, stairwells and common areas.
- Gathers and disposes of rubbish, paper, leaves and debris; empties wastebaskets, garbage cans and other refuse containers.
- Pressure washes buildings and outdoor areas.
- Changes light bulbs as necessary.
- Opens/unlocks buildings and turns off alarms; closes and locks doors and windows.
- Follows label instructions to mix and dilute cleansers, disinfectant and cleaning agents to ensure proper strength for use.
- Operates and maintains cleaning tools and equipment.
- Makes oral and written reports for work performed; completes and submits work orders and timesheets on a timely basis; attends meetings; participates in safety training.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of historically minoritized groups and participates in professional development activities to increase cultural competency to enhance equity-minded practices within the District.
- Performs emergency clean-up in classrooms including cleaning contagious spills and bodily fluids.
- Maintains custodial supplies in closet or cart.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Employment Standards / Minimum Qualifications KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proper cleaning methods.
- The operation and maintenance of a variety of hand and power custodial tools and equipment.
- Safe work methods and safety practices related to custodial work.
- Proper mixing and diluting of cleansers, disinfectants and cleaning agents.
- Basic English.
- Basic computer operations.
- Safety policies and safe work practices applicable to the work including the use of personal protective equipment when needed.
Skills and Abilities to:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Complete custodial assignments independently without immediate supervision.
- Operate and maintain tools/equipment used in custodial work.
- Perform minor maintenance repairs as assigned.
- Prepare and maintain basic records accurately.
- Operate a computer related to area of assignment.
- Effectively engage and support historically minoritized groups by addressing issues of equity and improving culturally responsive service-oriented practices.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all those encountered in the course of work.
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and one year of work experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Work experience as a custodian is desirable.LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District's vehicle insurance program in some assignments.PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to sit; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is frequently required to lift up to 50 pounds unaided or 100 pounds with assistance.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this class, the incumbent is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; analyze and solve problems; use basic math and mathematical reasoning; work under deadlines with interruptions; and interact with others encountered in the course of work including District managers, employees, contractors, vendors and dissatisfied/abusive individuals.WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee works primarily in an indoor environment with limited exposure to inclement weather during travel to and from assigned work areas; works while wearing personal protection equipment; exposure to fumes from commercial cleaning products and noise from vacuums and other cleaning equipment; occasional exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals and biological hazards.
The employee may be required to travel to locations other than assigned work site and to adjust to work schedule changes and requirements to work overtime.
Assessment Process All SCCCD employees will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of employment. To learn more about this requirement, visit the Vaccine Mandate information page or go to www.scccd.edu.Only the most qualified applicants will be invited to interview for the assignment.
Full-time permanent positions provide an attractive benefit package which includes health, dental and vision coverage for the employee and eligible dependents, as well as life insurance and disability coverage for employees.Part-time positions are paid hourly, with limited benefits. For a detailed list of benefits, visit our benefits page .